Hello! My husband got shingles. We have two children and I was very worried he could pass this infection to them. But, our doctor explained everything regarding herpes zoster virus and we are OK now. He is taking Zovirax and he is feeling much better. When I am at home I put cool compresses over his lesions since he doesen't want to do this by himself. He likes to drink, especially beer, and I told him many times se should not drink while taking Zovirax. He always tells me beer is not an alchocol but I am still afraid that taking both Zovirax and alchocol could harm him.

Hi! It is good your doctor explained everything regarding herpes zoster. Patient should have all available information in order to understand its situation properly. Zovirax is very good in treatment of acute herpes zoster (shingles). I don't think it is wise drinking alcohol and taking antiviral medicines. It is possible to have increased side effects such as headache, diarrhea or nausea. If your husband has problems with his kidneys or liver this could create complications in combination with alcohol. I hink you should visit your doctor together and talk about this.