Hello! I have been diagnosed a genital HSV this year. My doctor prescribed me 1 g of valacyclovir twice a day for ten days. After two months I had recurrent episode of my genital lesions and my doc prescribed valacyclovir again, but this time 500 mg twice a day for five days. I think that this second episode lasted much longer than the first one. I am wondering could I be having a valacyclovir resistant strain of HSV?

Hi! Well, you are one of 50 million persons in the United States who have been diagnosed a genital HSV infection. You already know that this is incurable, recurrent disease, but this should not prevent you to lead a normal life. Valacyclovir is one of three antiviral medications; the other two are Acyclovir and Famcyclovir which are also used for treatment. Regarding resistant strain of HSV, well, if lesions persist and you are receiving therapy than resistance should be suspected. I think you should talk to your doctor and ask for a consultation of an expert. Usually, alternate therapy is introduced since all Valacyclovir resistant strains are resistant to other two antiviral medicines which I mentioned above. In most cases, Foscarnet is used IV, three times daily and Cidofovir gel which is applied once daily for five days.