Hello, guys. My child is diagnosed atrial septal defect and his pediatrician suggests surgical repairing. I think this procedure is not cheap. I would like to know whether this defect is covered by a medical insurance or not. What do you know about this? Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Hello. Atrial septal defect is anomaly in the wall that divides two upper chambers in the heart. This is a congenital anomaly as far as I know. I am not sure which medical insurance you have. It all depends on that. I know that there is a direct cost associated with blood donor. This is not covered by insurance. I think it would be best for you to call the hospital and ask them all this. They must know this. I hope everything will sort out. Good luck!

I guess it depends on insurance, but I think most do. My son had ASD repair three years ago. It was 75,000 dollars. Insurance covered all but about 3000, which was our out of pocket max.