I am father of 3 months old baby. He has been diagnosed with atrioventricular septal defects. It is some kind of heart condition and they told me that meds will not do the work that he need a surgery. I don’t know what I should decide, my wife is against it. I am worried and scared. Is surgery only way to repair atrioventricular septal defect? Please, help me with this.

I am so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately this is not the first time I’ve heard about baby who is born with atrioventricular septal defect. These types of defects will never close on their own and they will always require corrective surgery for treatment. I know from the previous case that surgical repair of defect involves closure of the holes in the atrial and / or ventricular septa with a patch or patches, and reconstruction of the common atrioventricular valve. I wish you all the luck.

I am very sorry but yes.. It is through surgery that this will be corrected. Yours is an AV septal defect while others only have ASD or PSD. I will pray for you..

**edited by moderator**