Hello everyone. Recently I ran at one friend of mine. I haven’t seen him for a very, very long time. He was running in the park just like I did. I notice that he is wearing some device. Of course, I asked him what this is and he was very confusing when he tried to explain this to me, but I think that he told me that he is using this device for amplatzer ASD or something like that. I didn’t wanted to ask him anything else about it. When I came home I tried to find some information, but I didn’t have any success. I hope that you can help me and tell me for what amplatzer ASD closure device is used for. Thank you.

Hey Sandy. I hope that you are doing fine.

I believe that this is a cardiac implant closure device and I believe that it is pretty much obvious what this device is used for. This device is attached to a special catheter that is really similar to the catheter using during your catheterization. This special catheter is inserted into a vein in the leg and advanced into the heart. Very soon that device is going to become a part of your heart and this device will monitor your heart.

I really do believe that this is the answer that you are looking for.

Hi you two,

Sandy, this device is used for Atrial Septal Defect, or ASD. It is defect between the two upper heart chambers (the atria). 

The closure procedure is performed in the cardiac catheterisation lab. The person is given an anaesthetic which may be general or local, depending on the technique used. In most cases, this procedure is performed under general anaesthetic which is given by a qualified anaesthetist. The person lies on an X-ray table and an X-ray camera will move over this person's chest during the procedure. A plastic catheter is then inserted via a vein in the groin and navigated until it reaches the heart. 

Hi everyone,

My friend has this device since he has atrial septal defect, he is pretty satisfied with how it works.

This condition allows mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood, eventually causing right heart enlargement and high pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension). Moderate to large size ASD causing right heart dilatation and raised pressure in the lungs should be closed and closure can be performed either using devices (through the femoral vein) or through open heart surgery.

Nowadays doctors use these devices more and more since they showed to be pretty good, the patients gave good critics as well, and they are more interested in these than in open heart surgeries. 

Hello everybody,

I believe that this device is only used for atrial septal defect, like others already told you, Sandy. My grandma had this device as well because she had this condition, too. 

The Amplatzer device consists of two wire mesh discs filled with polyester fabric. When the device is in proper position, the device is slowly pushed out the catheter until the discs of the device sit on each side of the hole (like a sandwich). There is another device used for this same thing, but I can't really recall its name, although I'm sure that I knew it. The procedure itself is not dangerous at all.

Good day everyone.

It is very simple procedure with this device. It is used for a long time for a patient with certain health and heart issues. I think that every doctor is able to explain to you what this device is used for. I am not sure but I think that this device is used over 30 years and so far it is very successful in finding some irregularities.  Doctors use this device very often and I don’t know that anyone found something to complain about this device. I guess that this means that it is really safe.

Enjoy,  

Hi guys,

I believe that the other device that you are talking about is called The CardioSeal device, Adria. It consists of small double umbrella arms attached to Dacron fabric, with special springs. When the device is in proper position, the device is slowly pushed out of the special catheter, the umbrella springs open, and covers each side of the hole, just like a sandwich, like you said.

I will agree that these two devices are only used for atrial septal defect, which means that there is a hole between the two upper heart chambers and these devices are used to close that hole.

Good day everyone.

I am almost 100 percent sure that this device is made of a self – expanding nitinol metal mesh which if this device is sized improperly will rub against the wall of you heart and it will erode the tissue. That is the way to create the hole. The doctors usually will tell you that it also lead to futher scraping or erosion through the tissue in the upper atria of your heart and primarily in the top of the atria near the aorta. Well, this scraping usually can cause separate holes in the aortic root potentially leading to the blood building up in the sac around your heart.