Good day. Well, it is not that good for me. My brother called me today and he told me that his wife is diagnosed with sinus venosus atrial septal defects. I have heard that this condition is very dangerous and that the treatment can be very aggressive, with a lot of different side – effects.

I am so sad because they are far away and I can’t help them, but I am pretty sure that I can find some helpful advice in here.

Can you tell me is this proper? Is this treatment really that hard? What are the treatment and management options for it?

Hello Eric.

I really hope that everything will be OK. Medical care of sinus venosis atrial septal defects is primarily supportive and it is not required for asymptomatic patients. Patients presenting in heart failure should always be stabilized in anticipation of elective repair. It is very important to consult your cardiologist and a pediatric cardiac surgeon when you have problems with this. Why? Because patients with this diagnose should be treated and transferred to a center experienced in the repair of such a defect in adults. I think that repair is the best option. After they repair it, you will not need a long term treatment.

Hey there everyone.

Children usually have this diagnose. But as you can see, this diagnose can happen to adults as well. The heart is forming during the first weeks of the life. It begins as a hollow tube and then partitions within the tube just develops that eventually becomes the wall dividing the right side of the heart from the left. This issue occurs when the portioning process does not occur completely and it is leaving an opening in the atrial septum.

Doctor will usually prescribe some medications for your brother's wife in this case until they diagnose the level of disease.

Hello everyone.

Well if it is serious the surgery is the only option. I know a couple of people who had the surgery and their recovery process was not lasting for that long. So generally I believe that you should not be afraid and you should definitely do this surgery if your doctors tell you that it is necessary.

If ASD is not treated and repaired the extra blood will flow to the right side of the heart and lungs may cause you a lot of heart issues.

It usually happens when you are 30 years old or more, and complications are rare in children.

Hi there guys. So I am positively surprised about all your comments in here. He called me today and told me that doctors are waiting for some test and analyses that he has done today. Doctor just looked at him and told him that there is a big possibility that he will have this surgery as well. Now, I am wondering about the treatment – what is your opinion about this. Are there any chance that he won’t have any side – effects from it?

Trust me I don’t know a lot about it but I am extremely scared.

Tnx for your help...

Good day. Well if doctor tells him that he needs to have the surgery, he should have it definitely. You should not be that scared there are a lot of people who had this issue and the treatment was pretty good for them. Some medications can cause a side – effects and he needs to inform his doctor about any of them. So I believe that he is going to be ok, but first I would like to suggest you to wait to see what the final results are. Unfortunately I need to inform you that this is the second most common cause of heart attack. That is why he needs to do something about it. Soon.