Hello, folks. My friend has delivered a baby soon. Unfortunately, a baby was diagnosed atrial septal defect. I wonder what could aggravate such a defect. As far as I know, my friend was much disciplined during her pregnancy. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks in advance for the replies. Bye, folks!

Hello. Atrial septal defect is a defect in the wall that separates two atria or upper chambers in the heart. It is a congenital anomaly. It means that it appears while baby is still in mother’s womb. Some factors in pregnancy can aggravate ASD. First, there is rubella infection. I doubt this is your friend’s case since she would have had symptoms in that case. Poorly controlled diabetes can also be the trigger. Drug alcohol use can also be responsible. The exact cause is still unknown. I hope I’ve helped.

Hi, the ASD is a hole in the heart, it happen while in the womb of the mother, but the cause is still unknown. I had ASD sinus venosus, and I just found out when I was 20 by accident. I never felt anything. When I was 23 I had the surgery and everything is fine. Usually the surgery is done by age of 3 or 4. There are differents types of ASD, some need open herat surgery, other use cateter, it will depend what type the baby has and how big is the shunt. The success of this type of the surgery is 100% when done while young. The recovery is painless, if the kid does not have surgery while young it may be necessary to take blood pressure pills, because the presure on the heart cannot increase too much. But it can cause an enlargement of the heart. I hope it heps. Don't worry if it was identified on the baby is already a great thing. Everything is going to be fine.

In atrial septal defect, there is a left-to-right shunting of blood. When the pressure on the left atrium rises, blood gushes through the hole going to the right atrium. It is an acyanotic heart defect, meaning, it won't produce bluish discoloration on the baby. But the effect of ASD varies on the size of the hole. If it is large, it would bring great distress. I suggest that he undergoes surgery or Amplatzer Septal Occluder.

**edited by moderator**