Hey there!

I have one thing that I want to know, and that thing is bothering me for a while. So my step sister needs to have Maze procedure. I am not in so good relations with her, but my dad keep asking me to find out more about this procedure. Will do!

OK, the thing that really bothers me and him is how complicated is maze procedure for treatment of atrial fibrillation? Is it very complicated or it is just normal, classical procedure (which I believe that it is). So please, tell me what do you know about this. 

Hey Aurora,

When it comes to how complicated it is, it doesn't give surgeons a hard time, it isn't one of the complicated procedures. It carries some risks, like any other surgery, but it usually fixes atrial fibrillation, it fixes it in 9 out of 10 people. 

There are two types of surgeries when it comes to maze procedure, there is an open heart surgery and there is a surgery with small incisions. The open heart surgery is easier to perform but it leaves a bigger mark and it takes longer to recover from. All in all, I think that your step sister is going to be okay.

Hi Aurora,

The maze procedure is a surgical treatment for atrial fibrillation. It can also be called a surgical ablation.

The surgeon can use small incisions, radio waves, freezing, or microwave or ultrasound energy to create scar tissue. The scar tissue, which does not conduct electrical activity, blocks the abnormal electrical signals causing the arrhythmia. The scar tissue directs electric signals through a controlled path, or maze, to the lower heart chambers (ventricles).

The maze procedure can be done in different ways. It may be done through small cuts in the chest, rr it may be done during open-heart surgery, like Guest wrote above.

Hi everyone,

Maze surgery cures AF by creating a "maze" of new electrical pathways to let electrical impulses travel easily through the heart, that's how it got its name.

Cardiologists will always recommend Maze surgery if AF cannot be treated with medicines or other treatments.

Like others wrote above me, the procedure itself isn't that dangerous. It does carry some risks like bleeding, infection, stroke, pneumonia, heart attack (myocardial infarction, or MI), new arrhythmias, needing to have a pacemaker implanted, and death (About 1 or 2 deaths happen out of 100 surgeries), but there are small chances for any of these things to actually happen.

Hi Aurora,

Do you know if your step sister tried to treat her atrial fibrillation with medications? Medications are usually the first step towards treating atrial fibrillation and it works just fine in a lot of cases, when medications don't work, then the person is set to have a maze procedure done.

I wouldn't worry much about it until she gets to have the surgery done. After the surgery is completed, then you will see what is supposed to be done next. Luckily, there won't be a need for anything else because this surgery is going to fix everything that needs to be fixed.

Hey there Bee. Frankly, I don't have an idea because I am not in a good relationship with her. But that doesn't mean that I don't want to help her, right? But now when you mentioned this about medications, I think that my dad mentioned me once that she is taking some medicines because her heart is not working properly. I assume that this is it. But I think that he is not in bigger panic because those medications maybe don't work anymore? I don't know. Anyway, tell me more about this surgery? How complicated it is? Thank you.

Hello friends.

Aurora, it depends on the patient’s condition, but generally it is not that complicated surgery – for the doctors, and not even for the patient when they are recovering from it. Actually, I believe that it is less complicated than any other surgeries of this type. I assume that she was taking some medications, but I also do believe that in some segment of the life this type of treatment is not enough and you need to have the surgery. I believe that this is the same in her case. So, I assume that she is going to be ok.