Good day everyone. My boyfriend had a car accident this afternoon. He is fine, he just broke two ribs and he hurt his arm. It is nothing that dangerous, but you just can imagine how shocked I was when his sister called me to tell me this. I run at the hospital and I saw him. He looks fine. I went to see the doctor to thank him for taking a good care of him, and he told me that I need to sit. I was worried. He told me that during some regular analyses after car crush they found out that he is having atrial septal defect or so -called hole in the heart. Can you tell me how dangerous this is? 

Hey there dear guest.

An atrial septal defect (or as you already told “hole in the heart”)  is actually  a hole in the wall between the two upper chambers of your heart or atria. It is the same actually. The condition is present from birth Small atrial septal defects may close on their own during infancy or early childhood. On the other hand, large and long-standing atrial septal defects can damage your heart and lungs. Small defects may never cause a problem and may be found accidentally. This condition requires the treatment because it is very dangerous. So, you need to consult the doctor about this case.

There are several explanations why hole in the heart is dangerous. It can potential lead to the death. But usually it would not occur for many years. Most of those defects can be repaired if you find them on time. This defect is, like you already know, a hole in the heart that connects the right and the left side of the heart. There are two types of the defects and some of them can be repaired alone, in the first couple of years of your life. Doctor is the one who needs to determine when and if the defect needs to be repaired.

Hey there everyone. Thank you very much. My boyfriend is feeling fine and I am glad to see him smiling. He told me that he has a small chest pain, but that is all. But he confessed me that he is scared of this hole in his heart. I understand him totally. So, with proper diagnose, proper professional doctors care and with some medications he can be just fine? Are there some exercises, some other tips such as diet program or something else that can help him in his recovery process? Thank you.

Hey. Sure that it is dangerous, but if you are using a proper therapy you should not be that scared. Generally, medications can be used to help the symptoms that can occur if the hole is larger. These medications usually include medicines to relieve the pressure on the heart and lungs. Also, it is going to help your heart to pump the blood normally. Feeding can be changed to special high - calorie foods. But these should be given in the smaller dose. This is when the hole in your heart is small, but when it is big it will require more than medications.