I am almost twelve years old(will be in two months) and have had brown discharge three times since I was ten and a half. Each of the three times the discharge happened only once. Although it got on my underwear and toilet paper, it did not last for a day or more, or even an hour. Why have I had this discharge since I was ten and a half? Could I start my first period soon? Those three times weren't my period, right? If this helps, I have been developing breasts since a few months after I turned ten, and I have a little bit of pubic hair. Please help! Thank you!

I had a similar situation when I was going to start my first period. One night I went to the restroom before I went to bed. When I looked at my underwear there was a little bit of blood...I told my mom, and she taught me how to put on a pad and told me it was probably my first period. But it wasn't. That was the only blood there was! Of course, a few months later, I really did start my period, and a little over a year before the "spotting" I got my first cramps and I had already started to develop breasts and pubic hair.
Believe it or not, puberty and getting your period doesn't happen overnight!

Just to be clear, I haven't started yet, right? Thank you for your response!

I know it's been more than a year since your post, but I wanted to tell about my experiences with this when I was younger. I had brown discharge for months leading up to my first period. I'm sure by now you've had your period and are on a regular schedule, but for any girls reading this -- this is a normal stage. It happens differently for everybody and some girls have discharge or extremely light and irregular periods for years.

Once I started my period at age 10, they were extremely regular, heavy, and painful. I never missed one! But my biological sister has gone up to six months without one since she started at age 12. She will sometimes have very light bleeding and no cramps.

The brown stuff really freaked me out when it happened because I knew about my period, but not that stuff! I honestly thought I had wet myself or went #2 in my pants, and was too embarrassed to ask about it. To any girls reading this, please know it is a normal part of puberty and don't be afraid to ask your mom or anyone else for help figuring out what to do. I wish I had asked for pantyliners! I ruined a lot of undies during that phase!

Same I got brownish discharge yesterday and I told my mom and she said it was probably the beginning of my period but it wasn't cause today I started wearing panty liners but is nothing at all . But I'm glad I'm prepared for it . I already have hair down there and started growing breast.