Hi, I'm 27 years old and lately, in the last couple of months I have noticed a brown discharge appearing from my vagina few days before the period itself. During the period my bleeding is normal and lasts for about 4 -5 days. After the bleeding the brown discharge keeps on appearing from time to time for maybe a week after the menstruation and then it disappears until those few days before the menstruation. When I have the discharge it doesn’t hurt or itch, but still it’s unusual. I'm wondering what could it be and what could I do to prevent it from happening.

Well, brownish discharge can be a sign of many conditions in your uterus or in your vagina. In some women it’s even normal, but in most cases it means that there is some kind of a pathological change in your sexual organs. There is a great possibility that there is some kind of a polyp inside the uterus, in the vagina on the cervix. Polyps are basically tumors, the groups of cells of the internal lining of uterus or vagina that have begun growing in an unusual way, not controlled by common growth control mechanisms that exist in the organism. The brown discharge is the result of the bleeding of these polyps or the excessive production of the mucus, which usually has unusual composition, different than the normal mucus produced by glands of the normal lining. You shouldn’t worry about this too much, if there is a polyp that doesn’t mean that it has to be cancerous, and in over 90 % of cases polyps are just benign changes of the lining. You should consult your gynecologist and have him do a Pap test, and if results are positive, have him remove the change. After that the discharge should disappear. Good luck and let us know how it went with the gynecologist.

hi, im 18yrs old and am a virgin, and i have recently had a brown discharge, when im expecting my period in a week or two? since the summer season i have lost a little weight and was wondering if it had anything to do with that? am i ok?

When you have brown discharge it is normally "old blood" as my doctor explained to me. I don't get my period that often and when I do it is always brown. It is nothing to get freaked out about, unless you have other symptoms and then you should make an appointment with your doctor.

thats true its old blood and nothing to worry about I get it sometimes before my period

I have a very similar question..

I recently gave birth about 3 months ago. My first period after giving birth seemed very normal. Last month's period did not seem normal though. I received very little brown discharge, which only lasted 2-3 days, and no "normal colored" period discharge after.
Can I even call the brown discharge a period? Can this be normal?

Thanks all.

Hi I had sex 5 days ago and am expecting my period soon. Today, the fifth day after having sex I experienced brown spotting. Could I be pregnant?

No this does not mean your pregnant...when u have sex it can disrupt your regular menstrual cycle. wait another week or so and if your cycle still doesnt come, purchase a prego test or go to your gyno.... :-D

Hi there,

I too am having brown discharge prior to my period. I am TTC and I need ot know if I should count this as day 1 of my cycle or wait until the bleeding has started?

I was due to start my period on tues but last thurs i had very light brown spotting and on fri it was the same only a light pink! I have been sick to my stomache and getting headaches more then usual, I had blood work done on fri and it was neg, Is it possible it was to early to test for pregnancy?

Hi, I seem to be having the same problem aswell
I usually have irregular periods but I've just discovered that there is brown discharge always on my underwear whenever I wake up or whatever. I'm only 13 and I still haven't gotten my period for this month and I was supposed to get it around this time, this has been happening for a few days now and I have asked my mom whether or not this is normal but she's not sure, can anyone help me?

i had a problem like this years ago. a few days of spotting then your regular period starts. my period was dragging out to lasting a week or more. simple solution, srop using tampons. i know it sounds gross but the only thing i could come up with was that tampons were blocking the blood from flowing like normal, i switched back to pads and back to regular 3 day periods with no spotting before.

Hi, im 16 years old and I have also been getting brown spotting before my period. I wasnt to worried about it but now theres burning from time to time and im having the worst cramps ive experienced, aswell as pain in my legs. What should I do?

Hi, I'm 21 years old, i had sex 4 days ago , and the day after i started getting borwn discharge but ONLY when i go to the bathroom, my period is in 1 week, could i be pregnant?!!

i'm 13 and i had my period a while.. i think in january..but just yesterday i thought i started my period but i noticed it wasn't red it was brownish..and then i felt burns kinda in my legs and arms and the bottom of my stomach,like the bottom part of my bellybutton but a little lower all of it hurts when i cough or stand or sit or lay.? idk if that has anything to do with the brown stuff, i'm just saying..is this normal? i'd like to know..