Hello! I am 56 and I have been experiencing some pain in my lower back for quite some time now. I know that these things come with age but recently the pain increased and even spread on my legs which is making it difficult for me to stand up when I am sitting for some time, or perform my normal daily activities. The doctor said that it is lumbar degenerative disc disease which is normal for my age and recommended some physical therapy. I do some exercise but they seem to help very little. I have heard of a new method of decompression but I don’t know much about it. Have anyone had it? Is it safe to perform decompression of the central disc?

Hi! I have had the procedure and it helped me. I don know if it always helps though. I know though that not everyone can have it, so u should check if you are eligible first. I took it for 5 weeks, which was 20 treatments, and after that I felt great. One session lasts 45 min which doesn’t take a lot of your time and it is not painful. I felt the decrease in pain almost immediately after first two sessions. It is rather expensive though so you should calculate the entire cost before you start the therapy.

I am glad that it helped someone, but I believe that you should ask your doctor if official medicine supports this kind of treatment. I have also been considering it and read a lot about it. Non-surgical spinal decompression therapy has a high success rate as I saw, but it also calls for some other exercises and rehabilitation program you must adhere to during or after the decompression therapy. It includes drinking at least a half-gallon of water per day and taking some nutritional supplements that will aid in the healing process. So I am not sure that it is really that time and cost effective. Don’t you think so?

Hi, I was in a car wreck over 2 yrs ago and had lumbar pain which would not go away. I was sent to a chiropractic center which specialized in my types of injuries. I went thru 12 months of care which seemed to make me hurt more the first 2 days after the treatment then I got better slowly. I was finally released to home PT using a big ball. It wasn't long and I had pain in my cervical area which was unbearable so I went to a new doctor who had me get a MRI. It showed 1 bulged disc at c3-4, a herniated disc at c4-5 with cord compression, and another bulge at c5-6. bone spurs and disc degeneration at all levels. My new chiro said it was a major thing and if we didn't get it fixed soon I was heading for surgery. he begun me on a 20 session treatment of decompression with a cold laser therapy followed by a chiropractic adjustment. $4,000 later I had to go see my family doctor due to no relief from the decompression therapy, who immediately sent me to a specialist who said the decompression therapy was a valid step in the healing process if it works. he said for some it does nothing. So you may get many different opinions about its validity. As far as I am concerned it is a good thing for many ppl. just not for my case. It is not painful and is very relaxing especially since I was on pain meds and fell asleep most of the time...lol

It appears from all of my reading, that decompression theoropy is an up and coming step in the treatment of spinal injuries. It seems to work on injuries that are not quite bad enough for surgery... or at least not diagnosed as needing surgery for sure.

There are also home decompression harnesses that hook up to the top of a door that work somewhat on the same principal as the decomp beds that cost big buck to use. those run about $20.

hope this helps