Hello! I am 36 years old and I consider myself fairly young and certainly too young to be experiencing back problems. Yet, I do. I had a big physical trauma that caused my central disc protrusion and I know suffer from pain in my lumbar part and sometimes even pain in my leg. Can someone who has the same or similar problem, or any direct experience with this problem tell me what is the best course of treatment?

The only person who can tell you what the best course of treatment should be for you is your doctor since only he knows the complete clinical picture. He probably has your MRI and knows what caused the injury and how severe it is. I can tell you that usually treatment includes rest and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs which reduce the pain and swelling. Also some physical therapy might be incorporated into your treatment plan. It might include exercise, massage, thermotherapy, as well as a device designed to support your back. However, if it is very severe you might need an operation.

I agree that you must discuss this kind of issues with your doctor. He will give you all the instruction you need and set the treatment course. No matter if the treatment course is conservative or operative, what really matters is to closely follow the instructions of your doctor or physical therapist. And also keep your weight close to ideal and continue to follow the exercise and rehabilitative program designed for you at home too. Don’t be afraid and remember that most patients with a herniated disc usually get better without surgery.