%-)
I need some help... For the past four days, I have been experiencing a weird sensation under my ribcage on the left. It started happening when I was sitting after eating. Now it seems to have no relation to me eating because it's happening more frequently. It's not exactly pain, but it is not comfortable. It feels like there is a tightening sensation. I know the spleen is located there, so could this be a spasm? If so, what causes spleen spasms? I have been under the weather for almost a week now with an upper respiratory/sinus infection and I am not on antibiotics. Could my infection and this discomfort be related?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Amy in Texas

still needing help with this...

Thanks,
Amy

No one ever answered this post but I have the same exact problem. I had it last year when I had a sinus infection and I am having the same issue this year and sinus acting up again with the same side pangs. Did you ever find out what it was?

Overview of Splenic Flexure Syndrome

Pain in the left upper abdomen may in some cases result from distension or spasm of the splenic flexure of the colon. The splenic flexure is that portion of the colon or large intestine that changes direction from horizontal to vertical in the left upper abdomen, adjacent to the spleen. Passage of stool or gas may relieve the abdominal discomfort. Food occasionally may aggravate pain and may be associated with diarrhea or constipation. Changes in the size and shape of the stool may occur. When these episodes occur, they tend to come in clusters lasting weeks or months at a time.

Perhaps that's it. Seems to sum it up for my pain...

Have some check your spleen. There are all sorts of condition that can cause a spleen to inflame. If you had a previous infection, this is a dead ringer for possible splenic issues. Calcification can occur within the spleen causing inflammation and growth if macrophage involvement is occurring. Good luck and have that spleen checked.

I'm having the same problem. I've had a low-grade flu/cold with sorta sore throat and runny/stuffy nose, for about 3 months now. I had a sharp pain on my left side, upper abdomen, edge of ribs, which morphed into a dull ache in my left side almost to my back. Bowels have been different: alternating from constipated to soft. Has anyone gotten any relief? Any answers?

Thanks.

Exact same problem here... Hope someone can give some more suggestions..

i had spleen issues when i had mononucleosis

sounds a lot like mono to me.

I just started having the exact same issues - A dull pain right under my left ribcage from my left side into my back - It kept me up all of last night - has anyone found how to treat this?

I am having the same problem.. I went to the doctor a year ago and had a swollen spleen.., the never found what was wrong. I'm really worried that it is swollen again.. Should I go to the doctor? I have delt with this for a year without telling anyone. Should I tell?

hey guys.....so im on the same thing rite now.. I was recommended heating pads and i tried it and it had numbed it. It felt so much better. Also try taking an advil or tylenol for pain relieve. However, take at least 3-4 day rest and not doing excerise it makes it worse.

Sounds like mono to me too. I went through that pain last year. Turns out I had Epstein Barr and CMV viruses. My spleen hurt for about 4 months straight...every day. I'm now having gallbladder issues and despite what you read about the symptoms you can have pain on the left side (mine is mainly below the spleen area, but occassionally will hurt in my spleen). My Primary Care Doctor told me that Epstein Barr should not make my spleen hurt every day since I was on medication to manage the symptoms, however it hurt all the time. She sent me to a gastro doctor and since then I have had numerous tests and was finally diagnosed with gallbladder disease. The viruses wrecked havoc on my life and I am convinced they escalated my gallbladder issues. I now realize I have had attacks since 2008 but since I got these viruses I have had constant pain for months.

I'd start with getting checked for Epstein Barr (which is mono). It is just a simple blood test. Unfortunately since it is a virus there is not much they can do to treat it. However, they can give you medication to help manage your symptoms. My doctor told me it would be 6 months until I felt better from the viruses and she was right. I was on a muscle relaxer at night and an anti-inflammatory during the day. She also put me on Cymbalta for a few months and Xanax to take as needed. I did not want to go on either of those.. took the Cymbalta for 2 months and then stopped and then only took the Xanax once. Good luck.. spleen pain is not fun. From what my doctor told me if your spleen pain comes from mono there is medication you can take to manage your symptoms. I also had chills, hot flashes, dizziness and a host of other issues.

And just and FYI..My pain and symptoms started in September, I did not go to the doctor until October and by December I was having a spleen ultrasound and then being referred to a gastro doctor. The spleen pain stopped happening every day towards the end of December 2009. I hope this helps.

If you have a dull pain near your back/side near the bottom of the ribcage, then this is from the spleen. It can be caused by many factors, including infection of the spleen or direct injury. As with any pain, if it persists for more than 1 week then it should be examined by a physician.

If you are looking for alternate confirmation (or can't afford a doctors visit), one option is to donate some of your blood to charity. The reason being that the spleen, in addition to its immuno-response capabilities and blood filtering duties, is also a storage for additional blood. If you experience blood loss, then the spleen will release it's reserves which may reduce the size and also the pain. If this happens, do not consider it a cure because it will not solve the base issue that caused the pain. If it is an infection then it can spread to the blood which is a very serious condition.

I personally deal with a bruised spleen from a motorcycle accident, and deal with constant dull pain. It can be enough to force me to sleep on my right side to reduce the pressure. I have found that blood donation does stop the pain for a little over a month, but eventually I will have to have it removed (when I have better insurance).

I have the pain in my left side under my rib cage for about 14 hours. Was told at first it could be a diaphraghm spasm, gas or constipation, but doctor ordered xrays in case. My doctor sent me to the hospital, who found a mass and infection in my lungs. Two weeks later (and two weeks ago) the doctor ordered a CT scan which found cysts on my liver, gallbladder and spleen, and the infection is better but still present (was treated with a z-pack). I go back to my doctor regarding these results in two days.