Hi, my friend is 52 years old and he was on regular ultrasound examination of his abdomen when doctor discovered cyst on his spleen. He was little bit afraid because of it but his doctor told him not to worry and to repeat ultrasound in the next four weeks. I would like to know something more about this.

Hi, cyst on the spleen is not so uncommon and may be found on the spleen and the liver. Its origin may be hereditary but also may be caused by trauma or some parasite infection. His doctor wanted to repeat ultrasound because he wants to see how cyst would behave in the coming days and if it would enlarge. However there is no reason for fear just listen advices which doctor gives you.

My twelve year old son who in the last several months has had abdominal pain. When pain first started he had fever threw up a lot and felt very weak. Now after several tests, and going to GI specialist during an ultrasound a cyst like object was found on his spleen. I was told it was highly unlikely for it to be anything to worry about. But, as his mother I am looking into speaking to a specialist who has more knowledge about this. I know it's extremely rare but cysts can become cancerous. I'm not going to sit back and see what develops. Sometimes you have to take action for your own well being. If you don't no one else will.

Okay last december i started throwing up blood and then i went to the hospital and they thought it was a bleeding ulser in my stomach...so i went to my family doctor and he gave me a ultrasound and he found a softball size cyst on my spleen. I was 17 when i found that out...they removed 3/4 of the cyst and 1/4 of my spleen. It was a very scary situation but i got threw it.

i was passing blood and i got a cat scan they found the cyst and siad its nothing to worry about right now.

i'm now 34 years old, when i was 18 years old in USG check up to check my ovarium, the doctor found a cyst in my spleen about 9cm diameter. I was very worry and have USG check every month. Some doctor suggest to have a surgery, but until now the size of cyst unchange. I born 2 kids. I have no disturbance unless that my haemoglobine rather low (9), also my blood pressure is low 110-60. I want to share the experience of other people who have cyst in spleen too because it is a very unusual case.

When I was 15 years old my family doctor discovered a cyst IN my spleen. I had two separate day surgeries where they drained the fluid from the cyst and injected alcohol in it to try and remove the outer layer. Both of these day surgeries failed to rid my spleen of the cyst. A year later I was having stomach problems and was feeling sick often. The cyst had grown in size and was pushing against my stomach which made me feel nauseous, my spleen was being pushed into my diaphragm which caused pain in my left shoulder. After going to the hospital and being on T3's for the pain for one month I had another surgery, this time they went into my spleen and cut the cyst out, I was in the hospital for 3 days. 2 years later I started having the stomach problems again, had another ultrasound and 2 new cysts were found in the same place the previous one had been. This had definitely not been a good experience and I hope they'll just remove my spleen this time! :-(

As far as I know they should be able to remove the spleen but I would ask the doctor about that and see if it's possible and if it's even a good idea. Can you let me know what the doctor says? I am very curious. Thanks!

I have been sick almost every month since November 2008 i first went in for horrible miagraines, they put me on midrin and topomax.. soon after i realized how bad my back pain had gotten a year after a bad car wreck i was in... started physical therapy and more pain killers...later i started having horrible stomach cramps...next day found out i have cysts in my ovaries and that they'd go away..even more pain killers...month after month..my stomach pains got worse and worse...and i was told they're prolly just menstrual cramps...but i don't get periods bc of birth control...they told me to get off my birth control(Depo) and try the mirena(july09)..did it..HATED it! i was in sooo much more pain! cramping and such...one day(aug09) i just couldn't take the pain anymore and went back to the ER...told them i feel gassy and crampy and i can't hold anything down bc i'm throwing up...they shot me up with morphine.. and it wasn't making my problem any better!! the ER doc came in and did a 30second gallbladder ultrasound..."yep, looks like you might have gallstones..follow up with your pcm.." i said, no, my pain is focused on my left lower side while my gallbladder is on my upper right side..then he left and came back an hour later with a sheet of paper labeled "abdominal pain"...uh, no duh doc!! he diagnosed me with abdominal pain...7 hours at the ER for them to tell me something i already knew..saw my pcm, she told me the same thing after "feeling" my gallbladder and after stabbing her fingers under my ribcage until i said ow!! oh, and both of these doc's refused to show me my xray...so i made another appt with my fav nurse practitioner...he showed me my xray.. "OMGOSH! what is that??!" i said..he said, "that's air! your intestines are almost completely full of air..this is probably the cause of your pains... but keep your ultrasound appt just to make sure it's not actually gallstones" ok, fixed that problem...but after a couple weeks why was i still cramping in my left side? kept my appt with the radiology... almost a month after the ER visit i finally had my ultrasound(sept09)... and he looked and looked...no gallstones AT ALL!...nothing out of the ordinary in my liver, kidneys or my pancreas...all of a sudden the guy started taking a bunch of shots of my spleen...i thought it was normal..after he was done and had a radiologist confirm what he saw, he asked me if i had been in any kind of trauma..i said yeah, i was in a car wreck nov07 and broke a few ribs in my left side... he said, "oh no wonder...you have a 16cm cyst on your spleen due to trauma.. .don't worry about it tho, just talk to your pcm about it"...i did, made an appt for a cat scan and a follow up with my nurse practitioner...i hope they can fix this... maybe it's the cause of all my problems...does anyone know if i would need surgery?? should i be worried? 16cm sounds big to me...

I get the feeling you'll go through surgery given the size but I can assure you it should be an easy surgery so don't worry about it. The spleen is not difficult to reach and you should be feeling better soon. What do you think?

did u have to get your spleen removed with tha 16cm cyst?

well i am 24 years old and i just recently discovered that i have a 4 in cysts on my spleen and the paing is crazy. my left shoulder is in paind and my stomach is nausea and i have pain in my lower right part of my abdomen my stomach is very gassy and i cant move my bowels i just had a removal of a cyst in my right ovary that was 6 in about 3 months ago and it feels like its coming back i have pain in the same area again and it hurts i got a cat scan but they couldn't find anything wrong with my intestines and said my abdominal area is fine but the pain still exist in my right ovary as well in the upper left side of my chest by my rib cage the surgeon at the hospital said surgery was not needed for the cysts on my spleen i was confused because he said if any trauma or accident occurs in that area it can be dangerous because my spleen can rupture and cause complications for me. i have no appetite and always nausea the doctor told me to just keep it monitored for growth and complications but as of right now i dont need it removed its a very scary and confusing situation and im worried they cant even tell me where that come from

Well im 15 and i have a 7 by 7 cyst IN my spleen...... thats not a typo either

Hello! I had the same problem, I had the pain in the left shoulder. I had a cyst removed, then 6 months later, it came back... and then removed the cyst again, and then NOW I have TWO cysts... I just want the spleen removed also. Did the doctor ever tell you why you were getting them? My drs are stumped.

about Two years ago I started having pain on my side and couldn't breath and couldn't stop throwing up. I just thought I had food poisoning. I waited a couple days and never got better. My roommates dragged me to the hospital where after 5 hours they determined I had ruptured my spleen and had 5 pints of blood drain into my abdomen. I spent a week in ICU where they kept watch on my white cell count and kept me comfortable until they sent me home. 3 months later the doctor figured out it was a cyst that ruptured and he wanted to go in an remove it. Quick surgery and I was on my feet again in a few weeks. I started getting better, then 2 months I started having pain again. I went in and had a CT scan (my 8th so far) Turns out I had at least 5 new cysts inside and outside of my spleen. Went in and had the whole spleen removed. I somewhat healed. It's now 2 years later and I'm having pains again. It can;t be my spleen but it's in the same spot. I'll be getting an ultrasound this week to figure out if they have come back or now.