My daughter has been having pain in her left side; possibly spleen, bruise, pulled muscle, not sure. Her doctor had thought maybe she had Mono or Epstein Barr Virus, so she tested her on Thursday (results won't be back until Monday). Thursday night her pain was so bad in her left side, just under her ribs that we took her to the ER. The tests they took showed negative results for Strep and Mono. Can Epstein Barr Virus cause a ruptured spleen like Mono can???

I actually just got over Mono, The spleen won't rupture unless a hard hit to the left side or way too much pressure is put on it. I don't know if it works the same way as EPV though, you should look EPV up on Google and see what the symptoms are of it and what not to do.

Hi there,

If mononucleosis is cause by Epstein-Barr virus, it can cause the spleen to get enlarged.  If the spleen ruptures you experience a sharp and sudden pain in the upper-left side of the abdomen. You have to know if the spleen has ruptured your daughter would need an immediate surgery. You have to know that in younger children EBV test can show false negative results and sometimes it is necessary to undergo for more antibody test.

Have you got the results from the first tests? You also mention pulled muscle. How long is she experiencing pain? Pulled muscle should be good in few days without any bigger treatment. And this should not be as big problem as Epstein-Barr virus.

Best regards,

Danella

my daugter has been having alot of stomach problems for more then 2 years she has had alot of test and all come back negative and now she has pain in her ribs and her ribs stick out on the left side her doctor said pull muscule and she should feel better in a couple of days and she still is not better i took her for xrays today and my daughter said that 1 of her lung was smaller then the other but they wouldnt tell us anything should i ask him about mono or epv .my daughter is 14 an lately she has been having really bad stomach crmps when it comes time for her monthly can you give me any advice on what to do or wht can help her out thank you sicerely kim

As this ever diagnosed..my daughter is having same problem and only result was positive for mini and epv but still in lots of pain in rib area and ultra sound showed nothing spleen was fine

Hi how is your daughter doing ... my 7 year old son has started to complain of some dull pain under left rib cage as well... and I feel like it sticks out more