I had mono several years ago and I still get a sort of pressure under my left ribcage where my spleen is...it's not really painful, more uncomfortable. I usually get it when I get tired or am overworked. Anyone else have this after having mono?

I have the same problem, let me know if you find any solution.

yeah same here. it happens more at night and i cant sleep.. im pretty sure its just still in our blood and our spleens are sensitive to everything and get uncomfortable swollen easy/.

I am 46 and got mono when I was 27. A swollen spleen was the primary symptom in addition to tiredness. I have always been an athlete, but read of the possibility of a burst spleen in athletes with mono. I took no chances and did not work out for 6-8 weeks. I felt a lot better then, but whenever I worked out too hard or ran myself down with too little sleep, my spleen would hurt. This was very common for the next year. It diminished over time, but I still felt it occasionally for three to five years afterwards (perhaps longer). I continue to be very athletic, but try to get a lot of sleep. I no longer feel my spleen.

Thank you soooo much for posting this. Some doctors are very uninformed about mono, and it seems that medical opinions on it vary. I was looking to see if I am the only one who experiences this. Even if there is no medical explanation/cure, it is really comforting to know that I am not alone.

You're not alone. I got over mono a few months ago, and once I started getting really busy and having very little sleep the spleen pain came back.

If you eat a full meal in the evening try to make it light or small.

Aternatively eat your main meal around mid day.

It works and yoll sleep better.

I had mono at 17 and missed 3 months of High School. I don't know of anyone else who has had it as bad as me. Anyway I had the pain in college - obvious lack of sleep caused that, but didn't have it again until I was in my 30s. Now 37 and getting it bad again. Lack of sleep definite cause and any alcohol at all (not a drinker but even an occasional drink hurts). I try not to overeat as well to keep from being uncomfortable. It would be great to have a doctor weigh in on this to tell us why this is still happening from a physiological perspective.

this is absolutely crazy that other people have this exact same issue after having mono.

whenever I drink alcohol my spleen hurts and feels like it is cramping.

either that or when i work a lot this same feeling occurs. 

I wonder if this is a known thing for doctors to discuss with patients?

It freaks me out and makes me think that I'm nuts.

The same thing happens to me it scares me. Im scared of drinking now.

I didn't even know I had mono last year around march/april. I had caught it from my wife who had a relapse ( had it at 16! now she is 42). My spleen slowly began to ache and the more I would exercise the worse it would get. I had a CT scan and it didn't show i had a swollen spleen but it was done after I really had the most severe pain. Eventually it subsided after I was diagnosed with a relapse of recent mono and I began to really rest. Now, 9 months later I am getting that same dull ache and pressure exactly like before in my lower left rib cage back and side and a little bit in front after meals. Its been going on about a month now. I am going back to the doctor as a precaution. I do still have bouts of fatigue and I actually have glands that will tend to get a bit swollen or at least tender when I get run down. Any additonal comments or perspective on this is appreciated. Mono, what a frikin nightmare. It has changed my life, some for the worse, but some for the better. I don't take my health for granted anymore. I am a very athletic person who races road buikes and surfs and mountain bikes. I had the relapse while pushing myself to train for an upcoming road race.

I had Mono @15 and again at 17 I am 29 &it seems.like any stress on my body what so ever and my spleen hurts. While in labored with my first child I thought it was going to burst. i ended up begging for epidural because of my spleen and it did nothing to help...wish someone had answers.

did you ever find a cure or solution to this problem? I had mono 6 months ago and my spleen is enlarged again.

I am 27 years old. I had mono when I was 20 and my spleen regularly hurts still, especially when I am about to get sick or after I drink alcohol.  It is such a relief to know that other people have had a similar experience.

May daughter is 19 1/2 and had mono when she was 17.  Now that she is in college and not getting enough rest, her spleen is bothering her a lot.  I've read that changing your diet might help as well.  Has anybody tried that?