On March 30th of 06. I had surgery to replace 2 disks in my neck that I blew out from a boating accident. I was told they would remove what was left of the old disks, and insert cadaver bone. They would then use a plate and screws to hold the vertabrae together, then my bone would fuse together with the cadaver bone. All this was done thru the front of my neck. Since the surgery, I have had more pain than ever before. I have, (no joking) daily diagnosed migraines. The area around the scare is still numb. I still have trouble swallowing. I have trouble laying down at night, it actually makes the neck pain and headaches worse. My general doc has me on morphine, flexeral, temazepam, butalbital, and a few others to help ease the pain, ease the migraines, and help my sleep. And even with all these, I average about 3-4 hours of sleep at night. Some times less. (Side note, all this has really put a damper on my love life. Thank God for an understanding wife.) I almost always awake with a killer migraine. When I went for my 6 month check up with the surgeon, they did a MRI 3 days before, he said that it looked just like the MRI they did 2 days after the surgery. there was NO fusing taking place. He said "We have done all we can do, you might try Physical Therapy, and go see a neurologist." If the fusing isn't happening, isn't that something that should still be his concern? And is there something he should be doing ? I might add that this was done thru the VA, as I don't have medical coverage thru my employer. And thru the VA, I don't have a lot of options as for a second opinion. Can someone tell me what to do next? Please? Thank you, & Happy holidays. Mike

Whoa! You sound like me and alot of other people that's had ACDF.
I don't understand you not fusing. I would think this should definitely be happening but I must be honest I still don't understand it all.
I had ACDF surgery almost 2 yrs ago. I suffer daily.
I have been to numerous doctors for further testing only to be told that my MRI's look fine. My FP told me that this surgery can leave you in the condition that we are now in. (GREAT! why didn't the surgeon tell me that!).
I too have worse pain now than I had prior to surgery. I cannot fully rotate my neck, look up, use my arms for any legnth of time, bend repeatedly, lift, sit or stand long or sleep without major discomfort, ride in a vehicle that jars my neck. My sex life suffers tremendously. I also have numbness at the surgery site and my lower chin.
I can deal with the numbness but not the pain.
I had to quit my career of 31 yrs after this surgery and now am applying for disability. It's been a long process...I have the pain and disability but nothing (test) confirms any abnormalty.
I am 47yrs old, female, live on the lowest dose of pain meds I can (even though I still suffer it takes the edge off so I don't want to end it all). I also take Paxil CR because that seems to be the only anti depressant I can tollerate.
Yes, this is devastating so I understand exactly how you feel.
If I were you I think I would be consulting someone about why your neck has not fused after having the surgery in Mar 06. That just doesn't sound right to me.
Anyone else have this problem?
Good Luck. I hope your better soon.