Is anyone here that could tell me what success rates are for ACDF? I can found anywhere. They all said that is successful procedure but I am sure that it isn’t like 100%. Anyone here knows? Thanks in advance.

I found that success rates for ACDF are greater than 90%, however many surgeons believe that the fusion itself causes abnormal stress and motion to occur at adjacent levels in the cervical spine, which may lead to accelerated degeneration at these neighboring levels. They also claim that is safe and effective to repeat the operation at another level at a later time, there are some spine surgeons that claim that a disc replacement may be a better treatment for some patients.

Hi I just had ACDF surgery this past Friday 2/5/10. My symptoms were acute left arm pain, which left to a numbing in my left thumb. Along with general muscle weakness on the left side of my body. I also found out after further examination that I had a babinski reflex in my left foot (not good sign ,possible nerve damage). I had the surgery using a cadaver bone not my hip bone. A few days out my throat is quite sore but the medication really helps and all of my symptoms are gone, right after the surgery. I had a herniated disk in c5/c6 that was putting some severe pressure on my spinal cord. They also found bone spurs after the operation. I had my staples out today, just 3 days later and I am healing well. If my X-rays are OK by the end of the week my neck brace will come off. Though I have been advised not to get into a car for two to three weeks. I am walking around fine with no weakness. That is my story I wish you luck! :-D

COuld someone tell me if they had no pain down their arms but only in their upper back. That's where I injured myself and the ACDF worked.
I do not have alot of pain down arms but the back of my neck is in bad pain . I riped muscle or connective tissue 5 yrs. back in my upper back rhombus area.
I am told the only option left after all the injections is ACDF.
I only have 50% chance of getting better. I have pain in the left back side. bad pain muscle spasms occasionally.
Please advise.

HI It's Lisa Holmes again.
I am clarifying and want to know if anyone has had just BACK pain only and had acdf for the c5-c7 back pain.
Today 4/9/10 I am told by New England Othopedic surgeons I need ACDF surgery but just for back pain. THis is my last option available at this time.
I don't have alot of pain down the arm so they believe I have a 50/50 chance of recovery.

I don't know but I have alot of pain and need help. Hard to work like this . My muscle are stiff. Trying to be positive though.
thanks LISA