During my second pregnancy I got osseo-degenerative disease called osteomalacia caused by deficiency of vitamin D and calcium. At first - problems were accompanied with pain in my extremities during longer walks, but now, rotating my head is the biggest problem because my cervical vertebras C5 and C6 were damaged. Calcium-supplements didn’t help at all so my doctor said that ACDF operation is necessary. He said that he will use my own hip bone to replace damaged vertebras and that I shouldn’t worry because ACDF operation is routine these days. I am a healthy 30 year old female. I would like to find out more informations about ACDF surgery and what are my odds for fully recovering?

If your doctor said that the ACDF operation is necessary – it means that it’s too late for Ca-supplements because your vertebras are irreversibly damaged. There are two types of ACDF operation. First type is based on using donor hip bone – cadaver type, and second type (your type) is based on using your own hip bone for replacement. Measuring pain that you will be put up after operation – first type is more advantageous for you because you will have only one operation and only one wound to heal, but if we consider your odds for fully recovering – second type is more promising because second type has a big potential for foreign tissue rejection, slower bone fusion and finally complete operation failure. Therefore,… you’ll agree with me that your doctor made a right choice. Good luck with operation!

Hi, I'm danny and my pcdf sugery was a nightmare but that is not the case with 80% of people who do get relief!!! My surgery is so similar to yours except the back instead of the front and 5 levels not 2. He didn't tell you that you would get more motion in your neck did he?? That would probably be a lie if he did, most people have to fight just to get back to the mobility they had. Your size surgery they say is routine, and it pretty much is but why arent they going in through the back/ people only see my scars when I have my top off. Besides the pain you have in your throat for weeks after, a hard time swallowing etc.... I do hope that you do well but the only people on here are people that have had a horrible experience/ or people like me looking to help people like you... GOOD LUCK!!!!!