I know a lot about reiki. I am fascinated with the way how it resolves a lot of problems. But history is not my strongest side. I would like to know is reiki Japanese? It sounds like it is, but I am not sure. So if anyone knows something about reiki roots please respond!

I have always said: "if you are not sure then ask". History of reiki is rather blear. It is believed it started a several thousand years ago in Tibet. System of symbols and sounds was studied by seers for universal healing energies. A lot of healing systems have roots in these studies. But original source was forgotten. Reiki was rediscovered by Dr. Mikao Usui, in XIX century. After a 21 year study of ancient sounds and symbols which activate the universal life energy used for healing he called this method reiki. So the answer is; modern reiki is Japanese, but his roots are in Tibet.