Hello! I have always been skeptic regarding alternative treatments and therapies. I prefer conservative approach especially to serious diseases. My sister has recently started with Reiki treatment since she heard it could heal all sorts of disorders. She says she feels much better, optimistic, relaxed and peaceful. I think this is just her imagination. Is there any scientific evidence on healing with Reiki? Can science explain energy healing like Reiki?

Hello! Well, there have been many opposite meanings regarding alternative treatments in general, not only in case of Reiki. Actually, there is no concrete scientific evidence to prove that Reiki really heals. There are many people who say they've been healed, but these cases are based on personal testimonies. Scientists explain such cases as selective and wishful thinking or placebo effect. There is always the question of safety which is shared with other alternative medicines. Doctors usually have fear that patients might avoid standard treatments which are proved for serious conditions. But there are many Reiki practitioners who encourage their clients to consult their doctors for serious conditions. I think that Reiki can be used to complement conventional medicine. There is no report that Reiki causes harm, and it is often defined as a gentle practice that helps the body to relax and feel good. But, every patient should be informed on potential hazards of abandoning conventional treatments before they choose exclusively alternative therapies.

The only thing science can so far do about healing is not exactely an explanation of its way of working but rather confirmation or denial of its efectiveness. A scientific confirmation of different forms of healing one can find in a book "Healing Research" by dr. D.J.Benor. In this book he reviews just about 150 scientific controled studies of healing; more than half of these demonstrate significant results. More anectodotal and yet pretty persuasive confirmation of the effectiveness of healing is to be found in a recently published book by L.Dobrzanski, The World of Healers.

cmon , if u really have been attunded to reiki then u would know its real n it exist.

First of all, let me just say:

Let's assume science explains everything there is to know about reality!!! O my god, science has no limitations in helping us understand what's out there because science is all there is. What do I sound like...a childish, closed-minded know-it-all? Yeeeaaa.

Second of all:

Would you like to explain to me how during my Reiki attunement, the woman who was attuning me determined, based on the energy she felt around my body and without any prior knowledge of who I was or where I had come from, some major medical problems I had suffered in my life, as well as personal fears and periods of depression? She also saw meadows filled with flowers and surrounded by mountains. What she described was the perfect of image of paintings I had made in my high school art classes as well as landscapes I used to imagine when I was meditating with my mom as a child.

I think that science is a useful tool in helping us to understand our world. However, I do believe in forces that are beyond our ability to detect but can interact with us despite this. I do not think this is wishful or magical thinking. Nor do I believe it's particularly mystical. I think it is simply admitting that there are phenomena beyond our realm of understanding that we will never be able to breach unless we evolve much further. This is simply maintaining and open mind and admitting that I do not know, or will ever know EVERYTHING there is to know. Nor will I ever have a METHOD for understanding it. Do I believe that the pursuit of such a method is worthwhile? Yes. But do I believe that it will necessarily be scientific in the way that we currently understand science? Probably not. This is not ignorance. It is wisdom.

I am not saying that I believe Reiki should be used as a substitute for legitimate treatment. However, let me say this in regards to people who have a "placebo" opinion of it.

I am going to pretend that I am speaking from the perspective who believes only in what science says is real. "I believe only in science and the scientific method, if science cannot prove it, then it does not exist. Science, at times, can be very mathematical, such as in physics, which makes perfect sense since we live in a very mathematical world. Mathematics is the most logical, and therefore only, way to percieve this world. Chemistry, Biology, Neuroscience, and all the sciences which we do not percieve of as "paranormal" or "metaphysical" are the only ways to percieve our existence. They are the only ways we can gain real useful and meaningful knowledge from our world and from ALL that exists."

I sound very closed-minded, don't I? Like a know-it-all, really. Well, know-it-alls never really know it ALL. And furthermore, if that was how all scientists thought, it would be very bad science. Whose to say that there aren't things in the universe which we can't understand and will never have the ability to detect or discover until we have evolved a great deal more. Just like some scientists believe in a multi-verse or multiple dimensions, there is no reason why we shouldn't believe in things that can't yet be fully proven. I understand why people are hesitant to, but in my opnion it is very closed-minded. Just because you can't understand it does not make it a "placebo" effect. I have studied reiki and I am very willing to describe to you the types of experiences I've had, such as being diagnosed with a blood-clot during a reiki session that was otherwise undetectable.

I know reiki provides deep relaxation to our body.i have also gone through a website which gives very useful tips on reiki.If you want to know more on reiki just click on the link below.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have also remained rather skeptical about energy work in general even tho I have had training in Reiki and Qi Gong. Much of the "evidence" is very anecdotal and I am not completely comfortable with that. At the same time I have to admit that after a Reiki treatment I was given, I felt more relaxed and had a more profound body buzz than I have experienced after most of the massages I have had.
Sub-atomic physics claims that at that level we are primarily made up of vibrations of energy that have at best a tendency to exist, and the relative distance between sub-atomic particles is comprable to the distance between the earth and sun. If this is correct, then we are comprised of primarily empty space and vibrations of energy that give us the perception of a solid physical reality. This perception, accordingly, is then only an illusion.
Then if you get into quantum physics it would seem to imply that there is in actuality no separation between any one thing and any other thing at that level. Energy and matter are interchangeable, and in fact, sometimes sub-atomic particles appear and disappear in a vacuum. Deepak Chopra in one of his books used this point to suggest that if someone has a bad spine or bad heart and every cell in the body is replaced periodically then, at some level, that person has recreated their bad spine or heart. If we could come into contact with that quantum level why could we not recreate a healthy spine or heart? This may be a scientific point that lends potential credence to energy work, tho I think delusions of grandeur need to be guarded against rather than embraced in favor of more pragmatic attitudes.
I have had success helping people with minor aches and pains, tho I haven't spent a great deal of time cultivating these practices, so I believe there is definitely something to it, tho I believe it takes openness on part of all involved in the treatment. It should be seen as what it is, facilitating, not healing. What I can't stand is the fact that this area of study seems to attract a lot of kooks with delusions of grandeur and bizarre pretentions along with well meaning and competent practitioners.

As a veterinarian trained in the western approach to scientific medicine, I am of the opinion that Reiki does hold some value, but not as described by their practitioners. It is well described that our emotions are influenced by hormones, that are secreted based on environmental factors. The proximity to a calming touch, whether physical contact or just close enough to transmit heat/static (hair raising) sensation to another individual is enough to secrete hormones like oxytocin which modulate pain and emotion of well-being. This hormone is also effective in controlling menstrual cramping and just placing a palm on the tummy of a woman going through this excruciating experience is more effective and works faster than popping a pain-killer. For those who can, try it as an experiment and report back here.

Most Reiki practitioners will use Reiki to complement scientific medicine. 

Okay, nobody here has really looked at evidence it seems, and in the nursing world, evidence based practice is the standard. So here's a breakdown of scientific understandings that have come from the use of some very high-tech equipment.

Every cell of the human body produces electricity, and, as such, is complemented by a magnetic field which is small but measurable. 

The hands of reiki practitioners produce more powerful EM fields than those without attunement, and the fields may actually be measured by simple 80k turn electromagnets. 

The frequency of the fields is measured to be in a range that many medical devices (ultrasounds, TENS, etc.) use to treat a variety of conditions.

No carefully controlled studies have been performed to test the actual reiki process, but several studies of average composition have shown it to be beneficial in the treatment of conditions.

So does it exist? Maybe. The evidence is starting to show promise, but that could all turn around in a year's time. 

Remember that man knows just about nothing about anything on the universal scale. After all, we couldn't even get math right. :)

Even a 9 year old girl can prove that Reiki doesn't work:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/279/13/1005.short?rss=1&ssource=mfr

The idea of "healing touch" and "energy healing" is attractive and interesting, and so it has been around in various forms in all different cultures for centuries. But that doesn't mean it works. Think about pre-scientific healing practices like leeches and bleeding. People kept up those practices for hundreds of years because they really thought it was working. But of course we now know it wasn't.

"The first principle [of scientific inquiry] is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

RBiggs, this doesn't prove or disprove anything. It shows that TT practitioners can't accurately detect an energy field. It doesn't speak to the merit of Reiki AT ALL.

It seems that everyone here would believe that "healing" is the physiological repair of body tissues. I don't think that definition is adequate. Healing is a holistic process in which the mind, body, and spirit come to a point of stability and balance. Florence Nightingale's belief was that in order to heal: the physical, psychological, spiritual, environmental, and social aspects of the persons life must be restored to a state of balance.

If forces are available (electromagnetism), present (at increased powers in the hands of practitioners), and effective (as a TENS system is), then it stands to show the plausibility of a healing effect from Reiki. Each claim about Reiki or therapeutic touch is independent: if the practitioner cannot sense the field, it has no bearing on the other claims and each must be tested individually.

So, nine-year-old girl is not able to prove that Reiki doesn't work, but merely that a study showed that therapeutic touch (not exactly Reiki, anyway) practitioners could detect an energy field. Maybe the nine-year-old should take a course in understanding and applying research, so that she would not make such mistakes in the future.

In simple terms Reiki is the ability to, through a process of 'Attunement', using the 4 recognised symbols applied to the spiritual centres "Chakras", Crown, Ear/ shoulder, Heart, Throat and Third Eye, this process increases the vibrations of those centres and when sealed, the person has that higher vibration for life.

Truly??????????? And they want me to say more!!!!!!