Okay, I have no idea what's going on with me. For a good long while now, I've had this state of mind where I feel like everything I do is half a dream. I feel like my ability to percieve what goes on around me is very limited, almost like I'm watching a tv show about my life instead of me actually being there. Further, I've noticed it has become harder for me to write and speak, because I can't maintain the entire scope of the point I'm trying to make in my head, and I have to stop and think about what I was trying to say or explain, and when I do get it out, it doesn't sound like me. And finally, this might be entirely unrelated, but I no longer has a significant sex drive. It's become more of a pathetic, background urge, which is a huge difference from what it used to be. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, what became of it? I've talked to my doctor on a couple occasions, and he has yet to discover anything. He did some basic lab work, and everything turned out normal.
HELP

my perception of reality has always been that way.....since i could remember.....sometimes im not even sure if my mind phsically exsists with my body....always feel like im suppose to be somewhere else..and i completly understand what you mean about speaking.
I usually end up feeling like such an id**t tho- and wondering -"did i just say that out loud" half of the reason i dont even know what it is im saying, it never makes sense. Its like im speaking 'nothing' and thinking about what im really suppose to say.

even now- what am i really trying to get across...regardless..what im trying to say is that i read your post..and it sounds like me.

Wow......... I have felt the same way for many years now. Almost makes you wonder if its a physical or mental problem. If anyone finds out about this let me know...

Hello, my name is Joe and I am 16 I have been feeling however a little akward so far for the past 3-4 nights I've been going to bed and I fall asleep then I wake up and do my daily routine and get ready and everything only problem is, is that at some point I really wake up... I had no clue I was still asleep until someone yells for me too wake up...I'm able to control my thoughts my free will to move and move objects and everything I touch I can feel.....please tell me why this is happening and is it serious?

p.s. im not taking any medication or narcotics everything is normal other then my sleep. please email me wtih a reply too...

**edited by moderator**

I'm so glad it's not just me that feels like this. I've been feeling the exact same way for a number of years now, I've even described it in the same way how "it's like I'm watching a TV show about my life instead of me actually being there".
Another thing that I've noticed is that my concept of where other people are in relation to me seems non existant; I find myself whispering to people who are no where near me. I also frequently end up in day dreams and run through imaginary conversations in my head with people who don't exist... sometimes even arguing with them! I was starting to consider having schizophrenia, but that all seems far too drastic!
Does anyone else get things like this?

wow dude im happy that im not alone. i searched for this on google and yeah. its interesting that you went to a doctor and nothing helped. yeah it feels like im playing a video game and my will just sometimes comes through the illusion. people have been writing about this for a while, like philosophers, and i don't know if people think of it entirely as a problem, i have thought of lots of spiritual explanations but there kind of hard to completly belive in.

Lately i will have dreams and then think about them during the day as if they really happened - then i have to question if they really did or were just dreams and i can't remember - it's so scary - i also noticed that when sleeping i dream throughout the night whereas i used to only dream in the morning.

Hey guys, ive been suffering with this sort of thing for ages too :-( Try looking up depersonalisation or derealisation, its the sort of thing ive been experiencing and it sounds like the sort of thing you guys are having. it really does suck though. and speedsk8tersteve, ive had the same sort of problem with my sex drive too ive noticed =/

For all of you guys having this problem...
You are NOT psychotic!
Close any eye shut and keep one open.
Things seem realer to me when I do this.
Now do the same thing, but for the opposite eye.
Things seem kinda fake for this one.
What I seem to think is that it has something to do with the eye.
If you have been rubbing your eye or have done so lots in the past,
this could be the reason.
But how the hell should I know?
I've been feeling like this for at least 4 years...
But the weird thing is, I have got my eyes examined, nothing is wrong with them at all.
I just think we all are extremely deep thinkers.
I also think that it is related to my anti-socialness.
Or it may be due to poor exercise.
But these are all just assumptions, not proven in any way.
If anybody knows anything of this mysterious bull shietz, please post here. ._ .

Its called Depersonalization disorder.
Thats what your feeling.

i used to have these same exact issues. I tried to self-diagnose too. Finally, my psychiatrist explained that I was suffering from severe depression, which depersonalization is a symptom of. Difficulty concentrating, feeling disconnected with people and things around you, weird thoughts, and sort of retreating into your mind are all part of depression. I strongly suggest seeing a psychiatrist and getting help with it, because although you may not necessarily feel sad or depressed, feeling disconnected with the world around you can be very disruptive in your life and is often associated with thoughts/attempts of suicide.

yah... i've been feeling completley out of reality everyday for the past year... I'm stuck in my head all the time... I try to explain myself but I can't. My councelor says all this is.. is anxiety and depression, and he tried to cure me but I just couldn't relate to anything he was saying, idk if I have what he's explaining..... I don't feel real, reality doesn't seem real to me anymore. It's been like this all throughout highschool and only till sophomore year did it get worse... It wasn't bad until I started smoking pot... Idk if it was the effects of marijuana to make me feel like this or just how my mind developed throughout middle school and highschool, you know that (awkward stage of teenage years) but now I feel like I'm out of touch and going crazy... That I am just floating along life, doing what I have to do. I couldn't explain to you if you asked me what my personality was like because I don't know. I use to be a funny kid, who was living the life, but know I'm not so sure... I don't know wtf's wrong. I go to work and I feel stupid cause I can't keep focus and I mess up and everyone their makes fun of me because they think I'm stupid... I swear everyone thinks I'm stupid... Whats wrong with me? help?

Oh My God.....I live my life feeling as if im different.....as if I see things difrently to others.....as if my perception of things is so difrent to others. I ushaly put it down to the fact that im extreamly open minded and i FEEL things rather then see or hear them....and i dont mean feel as in touch i mean feel as in your emotions.....I run my life on my emotions....to me emotions make you what you are. I constantly feel like things effect me that would not effect others yet things that effect them would not effect me so much. I often go on and on in deep conversation wether it be with other people or with my self in my head and when with other people I can never get out what I realy mean yet its as if im talking to my self anyway and me telling them is only exspanding on working it out in my own head.

I constantly feel as if my life is alter reality and that there is far more to life then what we humans see....and I dont think there is...I know there is.
I find subjects like, science, space, time, religioun, history, philosophy and even politics intresting.

im 19 by the way and male....ive also looked into zodiac signs recently which I know sounds silly....and its what i would of thought also....but this hole way of being is how the describe Picease people...which is what I am....which even if its not true is still a coincidense which intrests me. Im also pretty agnostic with my beliefs on most things as I find it hard to say something is 100% true or not in my mind because most things cant be proven 100%.

If anyone feels the way i do...and would like to chat out of curiousity then add me on k as i would be curiouse to also.

stay in the moment when someone is talking, meditate through your senses (feel in your body, listen to sounds in the room) and open your heart to all things that are going on around you. and maintain a sense of being. this is what im trying for like a solid year hopefully it will work.

I am having so much trouble with whats real and not. I thought it was just dreams but seems to be getting worse. Last night once again I had a dream I have killed two people and buried them in the yard. I know I would never hurt anyone but it feels so real. Now in my (Cough) normal life... I am having more trouble telling the difference between reality and losing my mind. More and more the depression is eating at me. The nightmares only serve to make it worse. I don't want to dream anymore. I just want to be normal. How can you tell the difference when the line becomes so blurred? It has gotten so bad I check the missing person board to see if there is anyone I know. The nightmare is so real. Sometimes during the day is all seems like I am still asleep. Tried meds which only made it worse. Don't want to be locked away. Maybe we need to start a support group