I believe this to be true...despite the pundits, the nay-sayers, and those generally just in a state of denial, i am living proof that marijuana is a dangerous drug. It is almost killing me until i stopped hopefully for good 21 days ago. I write this because i believe it is helpful to my progress to recovery. I am here to tell you that marijuana is extremely addictive. I am 46 years old, been smoking daily since age 14. I have never gone more than 60 days in my adult life not smoking pot, and most of the time it is morning bong hit upon waking up, and then smoking every 2 hours or so, to late night bong hit just before bed. I have suffered financially, economically, psychologically, and emotionally over this very disgusting substance. I have episodes of chronic coughing and choking. I have now not smoked for 22 days and still have feelings of severe depression, anxiety, pain, and the feeling that life is just not worth living. anyone telling you marijuana is harmless is in total denial of the truth. hopefully, i will get back to a good and effective, drug free state of mind soon. peace

Chronic coughing and choking are kind of normal for smoking for more than 30 years, it is the same as if you were smoking cigarettes that long.

I think I understand where you are coming from, I had some negative experience with marijuana myself and paranoia, anxiety and similar things but I guess that it also depends on the weed and my man 30 years of regular smoking is too much, you cannot compare it with someone's occasional smoking which could be relaxing and fun (if weed was good and natural).

Hi, my husband is going through marijuana withdrawels at the moment after 24 years of smoking marijuana. He has tried to quit many times before but has been unsuccessful. He is experiencing stomach pains, irritability, insomnia and severe leg cramps, depression. I have been a social smoker for many years but have easily given up as I want a healthier life and most importanly I don't want my children to smoke and the majority of drug users children end up being drug users themselves. I have already lost a couple of my friends who do not like the 'changed me', but I still believe that that loss is better then being a drug user. Marijuana has caused many problems in my life, espically for my family as my husband has got to the stage were he was hocking our things to pay for his habit. I can't take anymore and if my husband can't stay of the pot this time our marriage will be over, as I have to put my children and myself first now. How many chances do you give someone?

I have already lost a couple of my friends who do not like the 'changed me', but I still believe that that loss is better then being a drug user.

-If you and/or your family can start to think of things you'd like to do or groups you'd like to join (family clay making, dance classes, singing groups, martial arts, meditation, swimming, etc. etc.) you'll find that you'll now possibly meet other non users and new healthier friendships will be had. When using it is easy to not bother really living life. Your time is now and your old so called friends probably don't like what they see because they probably wish for a better more exciting life, but don't wanna give up the dope in order to get that.

Marijuana has caused many problems in my life, espically for my family as my husband has got to the stage were he was hocking our things to pay for his habit. I can't take anymore and if my husband can't stay of the pot this time our marriage will be over, as I have to put my children and myself first now.

How many chances do you give someone?

-Others find ways to quit things that are caving in their lives, even while under huge stress, homelessness, etc. (adverse and not condusive to a hopeful situation-but they find their rock bottom and they are very motivated to quit once and for all and to start to believe in hope for their future). In my humble opinion, I would say that being very frank with your husband in recapping the damage that has been building up over the time of his usage, telling him what you expect and what will happen if he doesn't take quiting and doing what it takes to do so as a top priority. If he must move out to save your family from more financial ruin and influencing your children, then so be it. He may move out, binge a while in his new found "freedom" (not very free though, when he'll only have himself and his resources to pay for his dope.) but then I'll bet that he will truly realize how important quitting is so that his family can be together again, he'll have meaningful interaction with the family when straight and can spend the money on classes and activities for and with the kids to support their futures as successful ppl that know themselves and feel connected to their families. Him moving out to protect your sobriety, your kids security/stability (having enough food and rent/mortgage money) is important so that the kids don't have to live through the ups and downs of the stress and uncertainty a user at all costs creates. It'll probably provide the impetus your husband needs to finally quit for good, his rock bottom, so to speak.

I do understand where you coming from. Ihave smokes the stuff for a good20 years all day every day. My husband was going to leave me if I didnt give up. I found it hard at first but now its been 4 months & dont know how I smoked it so often. I did have some side effects such as depression, major leg cramps & not being able to sleep. They all stopped after about 21 days of giving up. The only problem I have now is that I have put on alot of weight but I guess its better being slightly overweight than being an addict. I have caved a couple of weeks ago but I ended up extremely sick all night. Never realized the stuff could do that to me. Keep your chin up as it gets easier.

I been having leg cramps. I have some blood pressure problems and I have had lung problems much of my life. I am 42. I hardly ever smoked marijuana but I was put on Marijuana for chronic back pain and it helps. The strangest side effect was I went to my pulminologist last week and for the first time, My lungs were not crackling and though smoking the weed is harsh on the lungs initially, it tends to relieve the stiffness in my lungs (Fibrosis?.. and no I didn't tell that lung doctor I smoked pot). Your problem is you're a drug abuser. Anything on the market will do this. Asperins are dangerous if you take large quantities every day. Marijuana has its risks too. But outside of 3 or 4 cases dying from severe allergic reaction, My physician told me Pot has never killed anyone. This is from a Doctor of mine from the past who said He can't say this publicly. Many Doctors fear losing their license to practice if they support the use of Marijuana. Of course this was years back before California legalized it for medicinal purposes. I also understand that because Marijuana is a dopamine, that it helps the tremors I get from medications I take which mimic Parkinson's disease. It was 3 choices. Benydril, an Anti Viral medication or the natural herb, in which I had to see a specialist to get a permit to smoke it. My only possible side effect is leg cramps. But these maybe from my back. It's just I'm suffering in both legs. But it's not PVD. It's opposite of the symptoms. Instead of pain during exercise and going away with rest, it's with rest which suggests nerve problems from my back. But I will have a follow up about this.

weed is like any substance if you abuse it, it will be damaging. hell, you can die from drinking too much water, doesn't mean im gonna go push anti water drinking on others. We just went too hardcore in smoking. Ive been smoking for some years now, but if i go a week without it, i really notice it. We probably just have a addictive personality. Also weed isn't for everyone.

I know this post is really old, but I just wanted to say I appreciate it's existence. It really amazes me how many potheads show up to these forums with guns blazing ready to defend to the death their favorite mind-altering substance.

I was once one of them. I smoked weed all day, every day from age 15 to age 27. I smoked weed like it was my job. I tried using in moderation. I tried limiting my smoking to only at the end of the day, or only on the weekends, or only on "special occasions". But if you're an addict like me, that proves to be an impossible task. I had to quit altogether, and I had to have help.

For the people out there who say pot is not a drug... Not to be unkind (no pun intended) but I really think you're kidding yourselves. Who cares if it comes from a plant? So does heroin. So does cocaine. Yeah, they are more refined but are you going to split hairs using your own argument? Marijuana is a drug because (regardless of how it's natural origin) it is a substance ingested that changes your mind/body consciousness. You smoke weed to get HIGH !

And I don't care that alcohol kills more people, is more dangerous, blah blah blah, yes it is. Alcohol is a dangerous drug and that is absoultly, undeniably true and it also isn't news. But that doesn't mean the pot can't ALSO destroy lives, or cause harm, it just does so in a more subtle way.

If you're someone who can smoke weed in moderation, and it has no negative effect on your life: good for you. Smoke one for me. And if you're someone who smokes every day and still has external success: you should be proud of yourself for your accomplishments. BUT I hope you consider how pot might affect you in other ways. Are you using it to avoid dealing with reality? Are you using it because you don't know how to deal with your feelings without getting high? Do you use in spite of negative consequences, like trouble with the law, poor health, or isolation from loved ones? Do you choose pot over family, or straight-edge friends? Do you feel anxiety when your stash is running low? When you don't have pot or can't get high, are you okay with that or are you dieing on the inside and can't think about figuring out a way to get high? Only you can answer these questions to yourself.

Please spare the self-righteous indignation of "just because you can't smoke pot doesn't mean you have to bash it for the rest of us" argument. There are MORE than enough pro-marijuana arguments on the internet. But there are people who suffer because of their use of this substance, and they deserve a voice too.

If you want to quit smoking pot but have trouble staying quit, there are resources available to you that are cheap (like virtually free) and can change your life. If you need help I hope you seek it out and wish you the best of luck on your journey to recovery.

I will not say that cannabis is not a drug. It is on par with alcohol or cough syrup, either of which, if taken as often as many of you claim to have used cannabis will cause horrendous health effects. Heck, you would probably be dead if you abused the aforementioned "drugs" as much as you smoked pot.

I used to smoke a lot. It was a nifty diversion and I could say that its abuse probably had some negative effects on my life. That said, a bad habit will generally produce negative effects. To focus on pot and its dangers because you had personal issues with it is simply unfair to the rest of us that would continue to use it in moderation.

Why is it that the user can never take responsibility, that he or she needs to look to faith or blame a drug for the decisions that led them to negative consequences? Perhaps I am being selfish but I find it immeasurably frustrating that I am unable to get cannabis and use it as I see fit, legally, because a paranoid (no pun intended) society thinks that others are as uncritical of personal actions and consequences as they themselves are. Combined with a substantial number that have never tried cannabis and arbitrary federal classifications that leave cannabis virtually unapproachable by all but privileged "researchers," the institutional force against responsible cannabis use is unbalanced in favor of weakness and ignorance.

Tar? Use a vaporizer. Addiction? Get a grip. Consider the real victims of cannabis: Prisoners in U.S. corrections facilities, potential doctors that can't get student loans because they got caught with a pre-determined illegal amount of sativa, taxpayers that actually pay to enforce ridiculous laws associated with cannabis law enforcement, kids labeled "offender" at age 14. I'm sorry, but those are the real social costs that I see associated with cannabis. Those are the things that actually concern me because I know a lot of people that smoke pot and lead very normal and successful lives simply because they haven't been caught. It's pathetic.

I study law. I study politics. I study corrections. I live in all of those things. People are manipulated on many levels, for many reasons. When do the negative effects of the enforcement of outdated drug policy outweigh the positive effects of such enforcement? I'd say 30 years ago. What kind of drug enforcement is meaningful? I wish I had an answer. Who's a better pusher in this country, the guy that you get your cannabis from because you know a guy, or the company that is in one of two countries (New Zealand being the other) in which drug companies can directly advertise to the public? Pharmaceuticals for profit should scare the c**p out of people but it doesn't; "marijuana" does.

I sympathize with the problems expressed here pertaining to the abuse of cannabis but why don't these people sympathize with my desire to responsibly use it as I see fit? It is not a zero-sum argument so why do we, as a country, need zero-sum laws?

I apologize for the energy of this post. I was looking into INS issues tonight and I got into rant mode. I am very sincere in my opinion on legal possession of cannabis and am more than willing to concede that I avoid using the word "marijuana" because I don't agree with its use. Cheers.

Marijuana is not a drug. Trust me, it is 1,000,000 times worse kicking opiates/barbs/benzos. The problem is that these things, even cigarettes are an attempt to control reality. If you use drugs to escape, to daydream, to alleviate stress, you forget how to do without them.

This is for all you m****s claiming marijuana is addictive! If any of you dimwits had done your homework you'd find that there has NEVER been a study performed suggesting that marijuana has a SINGLE chemically addictive property, like tobacco, alchohol, anti-depressants, amphetamines, or opiates. However there is such a thing as a psychological addiciton. A psychological addiction can be formed for ANYTHING; video games, cheeseburgers, reading books, swinging, football, sex, blah blah blah. To claim that marijuana is addictive based on anything other than your own personal problems is outrageous and stupid. Not only is marijuana not addictive but according to F.A.R.S. (Fatal Analysis Reporting System) A government funded agency, they're have only been 17 marijuanan related traffic fatalities reported IN THE HISTORY of the angency. Furthermore according to a study done by the Human Health and Recources department, because of the amount of inhalants introduced regularly, marijuana is 234 times LESS likely to cause lung cancer than cigarettes. If you'd like me to site my information that can be done, please respond. I'd like to read your idioc attempts to prove me wrong.

if you're a frequent users and you go back to sobriety then yeah you will experience some with-drawl symptoms. you're in for some brutal depression combined with anxiety, boredom, sleeplessness. you have to be prepared for it, what you're going to have to do is really mentally and physically burn it out of your system. go on a sobering camping trip for a few weeks and only consume water and natural products while getting lots of sun and exercise like swimming to clean you out. you need to keep busy, busy busy with your friends and family. you need to learn how to replace the time you smoke with friends and yourself with something healthy and satisfying to you soul. pot is filling the gap for you in some way, so once you find out what that void is then you won't feel the need to smoke at all, or maybe the odd vacation, trip or occasion. I would say that for a person to stay mentally healthy and not have to deal with repercussions you should only smoke about 3-4 times a year. like pick out 4 days a year to let loose but don't over indulge because you'll pay for it in general mentally anxiety/irritation. if you have a few days to recover and sleep off then you'll be fine the rest of your life.

Yes, if you're a frequent users and you go back to sobriety then yeah you will experience some with-drawl symptoms. You're in for some brutal depression combined with anxiety, boredom, sleeplessness. You have to be prepared for it, what you're going to have to do is really mentally and physically burn it out of your system. go on a sobering camping trip for a few weeks and only consume water and natural products while getting lots of sun and exercise like swimming to clean you out. you need to keep busy, busy busy with your friends and family. You need to learn how to replace the time you smoke with friends and yourself with something healthy and satisfying to you soul. pot is filling the gap for you in some way, so once you find out what that void is then you won't feel the need to smoke at all, or maybe the odd vacation, trip or occasion. I would say that for a person to stay mentally healthy and not have to deal with repercussions you should only smoke about 3-4 times a year. like pick out 4 days a year to let loose but don't over indulge because you'll pay for it in general mentally anxiety/irritation. if you have a few days to recover and sleep off then you'll be fine the rest of your life.

To all the addicts this means your addicted, to then ones that smoke way too much you know who you are, weed is not supposed to be smoked all the time for a long period of time but you can smoke lots of it if you can controll your mind in the process as soon as you realise you are not in controll which is likely to most users, you need to think why is this the case, weed does to you what ever you want it to do, ask and you shall recieve, you must belive, or there is no point in smoking, besides getting away from reality, which is good, but also know your reality, then you shall be fine, and you can sure all sorts of ilnesess, with this drug why do you think it is ilegal, its probably the only drug that can cure many problems in people if they only knew how to smoke it, the worst thing for people to do is to go totally cold turkey on it unless they have dammaged thier brains in the process, but remember you can fix your self

It is different for everyone. YOU KNOW THIS!
break ups, divorces, sudden diet changes
If it is something you are having trouble giving up then you might experience discomfort or withdraws.
If not pot, then there will always be something causing illness, pain or depression. For me, these things were lessened by marijuana. I had a better quality of life while using it until I got arrested for it. The facts have shown time and time again that marijuana is much safer than any type of synthesized chemicals that exist. The most significant problems with marijuana are due to the illegality of it. There is an increase in drug cartel related deaths that could be statistically decreased if we decriminalized marijuana. The drug wars are seeming to produce results similar to the prohibition of alcohol. You think we would have learned by now that people are going to find a way. Addicts in recovery should know that it is not the illegality that creates sobriety, it is personal serenity.
FREEDOM AND PERSONAL CHOICE ALL THE WAY!
LET THE LAW OF NATURE BRING US JUSTICE!