My daughter, who is 34 years old is having a terrible time with cracked, dry, peeling, and bleeding hands. She has changed dishwashing and laundry products, soap, etc. She has used all kind of creams but nothing helps. She has even put vaseline, etc on her hands at night and then wore gloves to bed. I told her to try plastic wrap also. She says she has also done that. She is worried that there is something else wrong with her hands. She says they burn and in the mornings she wakes up, takes off the gloves and she finds blood on her hands. She is worried about it being some kind of disease. Do you have any suggestions as to what she could use? She has no insurance coverage, no job and cannot afford to go to the Dr.

Have suffered dry, split, painful fingertips for 10+ years. Used OTC moisturizers with limited success. 2 years ago, had severe dryness and hardness of skin on face cheeks. Doctor diagnosed as sinusitis and prescribed Fluocinonide Ointment USP 0.05%. This helped condition. Noticed that it also helped with the dry cracked fingertips. But after treatment of sinusitis, the finger tips still was a problem.

Ten months ago, the finger tips became so sore, painful, cracked, peeling they were treated by a dermitologist. First tried Clobetisol(may be misspelled) and Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment USP 0.1%, using cotton gloves at night, etc. Had good temporary results initially. but by the end of the prescribed treatment period, the fingers reverted back to the original problem.

Have tried innumerable OTC moisturizing products. Some helped more than others, but after a brief time, the condition reverted back to original poor condition. The thumb, index, and middle finger on the left hand and the thumb on the right hand were the ones involved. Just recently, the left ring finger has also experienced the condition. There was some swelling of the left thumb but now both thumbs are swelling . All the affected fingers/thumbs seem to have fever in them. WE continue looking for some relief, but so far have only limited, temporary success.

I put Neosporin on my thumbtips and get a small piece of gauze and fold it over the end of my thumb and tape it with medical tape. It heals the deep cracks and thick dried skin that wants to chip off.

need help been going on for long timetried fungus meds not working and all other creams ect.

I feel your daughter's pain. As a nurse I come in contact with all sorts of stuff, constantly washing my hands, wearing gloves. If I look back on my history of of dry skin it has always been when I have been overweight. Go tell. At night I keep Calmadry lotion on my nightstand for itching. During the day I found the best hand non=greasy cream to be a $25 tube from the cosmetics sold by Mary Kay for daytime use. At night I use bag balm and put white gloves over it. Nothing works 100%, but when I am desperate, I go to the walk-in clinic and request a shot of steroid, it works great for a couple of weeks, sometimes months. Take some liquid benadryl at night for the itching, not too much you will wake up with a hangover.

I'm a male, 5' 9" and 140 pounds soaking wet after eating a pizza LOL. but I suffer the same problem. However, I've been working long hours in the last month or so though (I work in advertising, so sometimes days are 9am - 10pm or later), at my company's building, and incidentally, washing my hands with the soap in the lav there much more than in the past. At the same time, the weather got cold, so its hard to tell if I'm mildly allergic to the soap there, or if its just the cold.

But I went to college in the midwest, just south of Lake Michigan, and survived some brutal winters....with and without gloves, and NEVER experienced this problem before. So thats why I'm hesitant to blame the cold, dry air for it.

My symptoms are: red, leathery hands and fingers; cracks around the knuckles, and even some bleeding between fingers and on the knuckles. m hand is covered in a red "glove" that extends partially down my wrist. Thats another reason I think its the soap, not the cold. M wrists aren't exposed in the cold...but the soap lather does hit that area.

THIS SUCKS!!! My hands are radiating heat as I type....almost like I have sunburn??

My dad had a lot of trouble with cracking of his hands and the dermatologist treated it with hydro cortisone cream (that was back before it was over the counter and it cost a lot). It helped him control it. He also found that he was allergic to latex gloves and had to avoid using them.

My hands get dry and scaly during the winter and I put the hydro cortisone cream on before going to bed and then I use a heavy moisture (Beauticontrol EXTREME REPAIR) during the day and it helps me control it.

I have been having problems for all most a year with my finger tip
hard scaly finger tips that split and crack. It's very painful. I used
dermarest for eczema and heel rescue. If I had a crack I used skin shield as soon as possible which has an antiseptic. If you used skin shield as soon as start to get a crack, it would heal very fast. After a year I just started to take a generic multiple vitamin for active people.
My fingers are starting to clear up after a very short time.

Just to reply to the post just above mine...I don't beleive in store brand multi-vitamins. They really are pointless and a waste of money. "They" extract a vitamin enzyme from lets say an orange, but all the processing and heating that is done to get the vitamin from the orange into a nice pill, absoluetly destroys the vitamin, therefore it is useless to the consumer. If you are looking to take vitamins, it is best to find them in their "original" state. Probiotics are great, but certified organic probiotics are the best to take! They help replenish the colon and gut with good bacteria, that are needed to help fight off illnesses and other bacterial imbalances. I am a huge "earth hugger" and believe that going natural is best. Try finding, certified organic products. Maybe she is having a reaction to chemicals that are found, in pretty much everything that eat and put on our skin. Some people are really sensitive to such chemicals.

I wanted to post this because a few years ago I couldn’t find any help. About eight years ago I started getting really sore hands, which would get so bad they would bleed. The attacks would start with nasty yellow spots like yellow heads, and then they would break causing a horrible sticky mess. The skin on my hands became brown and dry, and I would cry at night with the itching. Of course the scratching would then cause my hands to swell and they would get really hot. Cracking and bleeding was also another symptom. Two years ago the symptoms started to appear on my head too. I had huge wet sticky scabs on my head, and I nearly scratched my scalp off. I tried everything, changed soap/shampoo etc but I never expected it to be what was finally diagnosed. It took eight years of hell before the doctor finally sent me for allergy tests. What they found was an allergic reaction to MCI (Methylchloroisothiazolinone - a preservative found in soap shampoo and cosmetic products) and Lyral (aka perfum - fragrance). I also have a nikel allergy but I already knew that. Anyway, a year on and I am symptom free. I only use Demol 500 lotion to wash with, and shampoo bought online. This is because shop bought products I have looked at, even those that state they are “all natural, demo tested, organic, no chemicals” blah blah blah – all contained MCI; and in nearly all cases lyral was present too. Believe me; I have looked at them all, even baby products. Also avoid detergents, house cleaning products and handling scented candles/air fresheners. Check the labels on everything to make sure these chemicals are not in your products. I haven’t found any shampoos etc in the shops that do not contain MCI, so I buy all my stuff online now because totally chemical free products can be found online. But even if you decide to take this route, take the time to mail the company and check the entire ingredients of their products. It’s a bit more expensive to buy totally natural chemical free products, but it’s worth it to be rid of the nightmare. This is my case of course, and you may have a totally different allergy to me, but it’s worth checking it out and making sure you know exactly what you are putting on your skin, and hopefully you can find a solution to your own problem.

have suffered from sore cracked thumbs and fore finger for 3 mos. tried all kinds of so called cures, and the solution was sitting in my house all the time. Try Vaseline petroleum jelly, in 4 days my leathery cracked thumbs were healed. After healing, continue to keep a very light coating on and reapply each time you wash your hands, to keep from reoccuring. I know that reapplying all the time seems like a pain in the neck, but it beats having sore cracked thumbs and fingers all the time. Healing may take a little longer than my situation if your hands are in worse condition than mine were. Hope this helps someone!

same problem here, sore cracked fingers and knuckles, seems like if creams arent' working, which they aren't it's time to try antifungal. It worked on my feet which were racked and bleeding for 5+ years, and now I'm seeing initial results with over the counter antifungals, I'm using two types, one AM one PM to avoid just getting a resistant strain. Hopeful... I've also tried all types of creams, changed soaps and started lotioning and wearing gloves at work to no avail (I'm a microbiologist, so I don't look silly in latex gloves at work)

found that my hands cleared up after started hydrating with 2 to 3 litres of pure spring water daily and eating more veg.

My dad has suffered for years from a condition on his hands that cause him to have thick, scaly skin that itches like mad. It then turns into deep cracks in his skin that are very painful.
He has been seen by GP and dermatologists and has had many, many different treatments including UV therapy, fungal creams, steroidal creams, antibiotics etc. All of which have provided temporary relief but nothing has been permanent.
He has also been seen in an allergy clinic and hasn't tested as allergic to anything and has tried natural remedies too, to no avail.
This condition started spontaneously in his early 60's, there appears to be no trigger that started it, my mum has used the same powers, washing liquids etc for years and years.
Everyone he has seen in the NHS is completely stumped. If anyone finds permanent relief from this conditon then their advice would be greatly appreciated

I have a 3.5 year old with a speech delay that is having trouble with dry, cracked, and bleeding fingers. They are the index finger on the left hand and the index and middle finger on the right hand. I took her to a dermatologist because she was already diagnosed with eczema, but I couldn't put the cream on her hands due to her sticking them in her mouth. She picks off any gloves, bandaids, or bandages, and she wipes the cream off as soon as I put it on her-anywhere she can, even on the carpet. I have been trying out the medela ointment that is used on the mothers nipples when nursing since it is safe for babies. Nothing is working and they are getting so bad that I am afraid to put her in the school setting with all of the comunicative diseases out there. what should I do for her?