I heard some very controverse opinions about reiki. Are there any side effects and are there any dangers if the procedure is done by an amateur? I am interested in reiki, but I heard so many different stories and now I am a bit skeptical about it. How dangerous can it be?

Reiki can be as dangerous as any other method. Everything has its good and bad sides. Some say that if it is done inadequately it can even worsen things, because it can help negative energy pass through your open chakras. The process of opening your chakras reduces your natural shield against negative energies, so it could cause some unwanted changes in your personal energy.

You just have to be careful when you chose your reiki instructor. There have been cases when reiki instructors tried some methods that had nothing to do with reiki. Reiki itself is very convenient to be used by cultists in order to get people in their sect. Although reiki can be very useful method, it demands precaution. So I would really advice you to try it out but with carefully selected instructor.

Actually, one of the first things you learn in your first atonement class is that Reiki can do no harm. Reiki works for the highest and best good. It might not be the outcome you expect, but it ultimately works for the best.

For example, I have a client that was having severe headaches. After a couple treatments her headaches were less intense, but she began to notice shoulder pain. Reiki didn't cause the shoulder pain, but lessened the other pain so that she could feel the shoulder pain. Our bodies can only deal with so much at a time and by lessening part of it, it allows for more to get through. Through her treatments with me, she was guided to go to a chiropractor and was able to address the bigger problem.

Naturopathic methods, like Reiki, are based upon the principle of 'doing no harm.'

The worst that could happen in my opinion is it being ineffective due to someone not being properly trained.

I beg to differ re last comment: reiki is energy work, not naturopathic medicine. And unfortunately when someone is not properly trained it is worse than ineffective: it is potentially dangerous. Increasing numbers of reiki practitioners are NOT properly trained due to the rapid induction process (a few weekends of "teaching"!!) and consequently not only are they themselves getting into difficulty, often having distressing and disruptive psychic experiences, but they are placing those upon whom they work at risk. I cant count the number of so-called Reiki Masters i have met who have not been introduced to the most basic "safe practice" methods of energy work. Nor can i count the number of them who have come to me as clients, seeking rescue from the psychic chaos and negative space in which they find themselves - and it all cases the onset of the trouble was immediately after attunement to Reiki II. (i am a registered and full-time spiritual healer/healer-trainer for over 20 years, ).

That's a great point. Thanks!

Guest who wrote the reply about reiki being dangerous, i've discovered it is possible to lose your energy through reiki. it has f*kd me up severely. is there hope to get  back w hat was removed

ya. I agree that Reiki is not safe if it is done by a non-relable practitoners. However, note that the technique itself is 100% safe if applied properly. So it is all about the practitioner and not the technique. It may look confusing. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

Guest wrote:

gwenni1316 wrote:

reiki did harm to me

As per previous comments, no harm can come from Reiki. Unfortunatly people hold in a lot of trauma that happens to them that over time they try to " forget ". Reiki will bring back these memories for you to register-heal from- and move on from so they are no longer carried over time.

Everyone is way to stressed out these days, which can cause multiple physical and emotional ailments. Imagine having to heal them all at the same time???? That would be overwhelming. Reiki goes where it's needed. People may think that their headach ( as example ) is the issue, but there might be something else going on that's causing the headach. Approach Reiki with an open mind please, and try to relax.

I agree that practitioners vary - I like to try different practitioners until I feel one that I myself connect with. I also feel that Level 1 or 2 Reiki shouldn't take months to teach, and some insitituions charge extream amounts of money. I guess if your classes are large. It would take a shorter time to teach one or two people then a class of 20. Ask to see their certificates if you are worried. If the practitioner gets offended and doesn't want to show them - move on to another. You asking to see certificates is a logical question.

Reiki varies from practitioner to practitioner, but the basics of reiki should alllllways be covered.

If you feel " harmed " or " uneasy " after a reiki session you may not be grounded well enough. You can practice grounding on your own. Call the practitioner themselves and tell them how you are feeling, or try another Reiki practitioner.

Hope this helps everyone :)

dear sir, take my regard. please tell me how can a dialysis patient will be cure?

see all these systems are not part of conventional system, which are safe, none of our gods jesus , ram , muhhamad been practising all these things, i always have parcitced reiki for years , these modoern spiritual parctices , until not supported by conventional theories , are dangerous.

sorry to wade in but lets be sensible about this. reiki doesn't really exist. were all bundles of energy negative positive blah de blah. Actually what matters is being good kind people and thats it. Very simple. Reiki is about relaxing with someone while they imagine they are transferring energy to you but actually all thats happening is you are relaxing with them, connecting and if you view this connection positively then your going to feel good about yourself, feeling good is its own sense of healing. Job done. 

Sorry, I dont understand