Hello, folks. I have some depression problems and my psychiatrist suggested me taking Celexa. I would like to start with this medication. However, I am worried whether this medication is safe for the heart. There is a lot of heart diseases history running through my family and I would like to avoid this.

Hello. Celexa is a good antidepressant. Many doctors prescribe it. I think it is safe for heart. My brother takes it and he wasn’t warned about that. It can cause irregular or fast heartbeat. However, I am not sure whether this happens with all people who take it. You should consult with your doctor. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck!

I've been on Celexa for almost 10 years. I gained a lot weight, approximately 55 pounds and suffering from high blood pressure, cholesterol and i having a lot pain of my left side, including my leg. Sweeling, ocasionally during once a month. I don't know if it's because the meds, but my normal weight is 90 pounds, and i could because i over weight. definitely, i know i gained because of meds. If i was you, id rather go to therapy.

I would definitly say DO NOT take celexa I took it for 5 years and now have issues with my heart called pvc's it started when I took celexa and i've been off it for 6 years and still have the problem spent thousands of dollars in hospital/medical bills cause of this I know it was caused by the celexa and my doctor also believes that it is probably the cause.

I have been on Celexa for 4 months and I have been having a lot of problems with my heart. My heart immediately began racing and was irregular. This weekend I had left arm pain and what felt like a mini-heart attack. I am seeing my doctor for testing. It also caused diarea (sp?) which led to weight loss (I liked the weight loss part-15 pounds in 4 months.) However, I could not sleep, yet was tired all the time. I could only take 10mg because of how bad it made my heart feel and have since stopped it all together. It didn't really help my depression at such a low dose.

I forgot to mention that I am a 40 year old female.