Hi!
I have a strange problem and only now I realize this is a problem. I never saw this that way. I think I am addicted to nose spray. I have swollen nasal passages and also some problems with sinuses. I cannot breath through nose without nose spray and besides my head starts aching. I need up to two bottles of nose spray monthly and in pharmacy they do not want to send me anymore, so I am sending my friends to buy it for me. I want to get rid of this nose spray addiction for good, but I do not know where to turn or what to do!

Hey!
I think it is best you ask your doctor for help. I you want to know, when using nose spray for longer period (it is suggested not to use it more than 5 days), it can actually make runny noses and congestion worse. When the spray wears off, blood vessels dilate again, bringing swelling and congestion with the extra blood flow. This leads to nose spray addiction. But continuous use can cause rebound rhinitis. Rebound rhinitis, which is very possible you have it, is a condition when nasal passages become even more swollen than they were at the beginning.
Addiction of nose spray, can lead to higher heart rate and blood pressure levels.
I sincerely suggest you go talk with your physician and she or he will probably refer to ENT (ear, nose, throat specialist) or maybe just prescribe you some steroids to ease the nose spray addiction.
I hope you will be soon fine, it is just that you need help from specialists.

I was a 20 year nasal spray user. Lately I found a way to stop using it. take a few weeks to do it. You simply reduce the strength of the nasal spray (no matter what kind of nasal spray you use). The way to do this is:
Buy a small measure cup or measure tub, open the nasal spray bottle, buy a bottle of saline spray(wal-mart has it), or you can use water. first week use 10 % saline/water and 90% nasal spray, you need to mix them manually. second week increase saline/water to 20%, so only 80% nasal spray, and keep going... make sure you mix them with correct %, go slow if you have to, so your nose won't even know the difference. by the time you get to 80 % saline/water and 20% nasal spray, you should be able to stop it all together. or keep going to 10%/90%... I did in 10 weeks. Many people did this successfully.. Good luck to you....

Stop using nasal sprays issue will never be ignored. Just for being honest, I need to tell you that I am leading a R&D based firm that deals with micron-sized droplets that are carrying water-soluble substances known as ultrasonic fog.

Since I met lot of people during the reaserch period and they raised many ideas how to use the fog for healthcare treatments as well as to stop being addicted to Otrivin (Nasal Dosing Spray 0.1% xylometazoline), I would like to tell you that I have heard two stories of individuals that the fog made them well.

I am not a physician and this is not a recommendation to use my company's products but only for bringing these general facts that need to be discussed and checked with doctors.

I provide a service discussing detailed instruction how to withdrawel from nose spray addiction completely and with ease while breahing through the whole process. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I was addicted to nose spray to and after many methods that didn't work, I came up with this. Take a look for yourself.

I was also addicted to nasal spray, i didnt realize until i read up online and thought i do actually have a problem...
The way i stopped was one nostril at a time, when you stop using it, the blood vessels swell in your nose causing it to be blocked so you use it again so you can breath, vicious circle.
So stop using in one nostril until the blood vessels are back to normal and then stop in the other nostril.
This worked for me. hope it does for you.
Thanks

i had this same problem 2 years ago and now i have it again. i had it when i actually had health insurance...my doctor gave me some Rhinocort it did take a week or 2 but i did finally be able to breath on my own. it worked up until i started getting sick a few months ago & used nasal spray & now im addicted to it again but i have no health insurance now so i cant get it & im miserable!

I Have solved this problem.Was on otrivin two years. This is how I got rid of Nasal rebound.I diluted my newest bottle by about 20% with water.the next bottle I diluted About 50/50. The third bottle about 25% otrivin and 75%water. The final bottle about 10%otrivin 90% water.Believe me when I say this will work. You cannot do this overnight.You have to come off it very slowly.

Here's what I did. Its been 2 weeks and I only use a little saline spray 0-3 times a day now!

So I got a cold a couple weeks ago and my nose got so stuffed up that nasal spray was barely helping. That's when I decided to quit. If I'm already stuffed up, why not quit and get over this addiction too? So I did. I bought some saline spray, Ocean brand and used it a couple times a day and as my cold went away, so did most of my stuffiness. Its been 2 weeks now, my nose is about 70% clear and open and I feel so much better. So I guess my advice it, catch a cold lol Or just wait until you get one, everyone does. When you do and the stuffiness is bad, quit! Yes, it will be bad for a few days but after its done, you don't have to use nasal spray anymore! Its a huge relief. Good luck to you all :)

I'm no Doctor but I've had this addiction for a little over 7 years and this is how I quit. It is annoying and crazy and you want to go back but you can do it. People say Cold turkey, wheening off, stopping in on nose. And yes they all work for each individual, but for some it is different. People wont tell you what you will be going through and how long it would take to be free of addiction.

3 days no, one week no!, 2 weeks 65% yes!, 1 month 100% yes. Rememeber you nasal tissues have to heal, and more so you have to re-learn how to breath on your own. Sounds crazy! I thought so to! Ever since you used the spray you've been using the spray to breath properly so your body dosent know natural breathing when you stop all of a sudden you body goes into a shock mode, where certain tissues in you head lock up. Hence the cause of rebound congestion, and trust me thats not all that happens. So how did I do the impossible.

I tried wheening my self off at first, but by the time i brought it down to 70% saline and 30% nasal spray I was using a bottle a day just to breathe. So this is what I did, I went to the Doctor and got Nasonex (this is a non addictive nasal spray steroid) the purpose of this spray is to help you along the process and heal your nose with out infection. I went to the pharmacy and also bought breath right strips, night time sinus pills like tylenol sinus night. Told my self its time to quit!!

***NOTE NASONEXX TAKES 7 DAYS FOR IT TO WORK SO DONT BE ALARMED IF YOU DONT FEEL ANYTHING RIGHT AWAY***

***Using nose strips is a good way to open your sinuses in the night time**

Day 1: I woke up at 7 took my nasal spray for One last time (hopfully for ever) and took two squirts in each nostril of Nasonex. I went to work as normal, as I was working away i felt the congestion start coming in slowlyso I went to the store and got Sudefed just to calm my self from freaking out and well it kind of works cuz it clears one nostril for you to breath.

Night 1: This night was going to be my work night and I knew it, I took my night time sinus tylenol and two squirts of Nasonex and waited for a night of annoyance and guess what I got it I slept maybe an hour the whole night and a sinus head ache was kicking in. This is normal because of all the flem build up in you head that youve been storing is now coming down.

Day 2: I went to work with stuffy nose a head ache and tried to keep my mind with out thinking, blowing my nose as often as I can. This is technically the real day 1, pain in my head was getting worse and finally when I went home I threw up because I eventually go naueous, and went to sleep. I was able to pull about 2 hours of sleep from 7 to 9.

Night 2: This night wont be as bad but you probably can pull in about 4 to 5 hours of sleep, mostly because your so tierd from the night before same steps as night 2

Day 3: just take nasonex and leave your nose alone you will see that your nose will open up and close every so often which is normal, use ur mouth to breath keep alot of kleenex near you because you will be dripping

night 3: will be same as night 2 you wont get more the 4 or 5 hours of sleep

Day 4: Your nose is still healing, from one nostril you will breath great the other will be semi clogged but wont bother you as much, you will notice when you walk for a long time you will see you nose clear and then become stuffy, completly normal

Night 4: expect about 5 to 6 hous of sleep

Day 5 -8 - better days you more awake but your not cured completly yet

Night 5-8: you will continue to sleep for 5 to6 hours

first week and on:

After the first week you will notice your congestion go down slowlydont use anything but nasonexx and and the strips... by now your nasonexx will blay a huge part in your recovery and you can breath better every day. This is when you body will begin to re-learn how to breath slowly. Rememeber 80% of the people only breath through one nose perfectly so you have to get used to this fact hence is why it will take you a month before your 100% perfectly cured. Its a bad addiction but a great result when you over come it, i dont need to carry tissues, bottle of sprays every where I go or even have some sleepless nights because the spray is useless. Or worst be affraid to eat ice cream cuz it may cause congestion... I hope every one can get off of this stuff GOOD luck

Do have any permanent consequences from using it all those years.?
've been using nasal drops for 9+ years and five days ago my heart started to beat stronger,not faster but stronger and I feel some strange iritating sense like narrowness in my chest.I'm so scared that it comes from nasal drops and the thought that it could be permanent makes me crazy .
Do you think it can go away when I stop using nasal drops,have you ever heard about some permanent consequences like these?
Sorry 4 bad english,it's not my first language.
I hope so you'll answer ,I'm so desperate

Thank you so much for your post!!! I used afrin and other nasal sprays for 3+ months and went cold turkey 5 days ago...one of the hardest things I've had to do!! I'm pregnant so I cant use steroid sprays to ween with, but am using Simply Saline as an attempt for some relief. I am experiencing small durations when I can breath clearly...well, with some runny nose anyway...but then out of nowhere, I'll completely clog again. My nose also seems to clog if I blow too hard or too much...like it gets irritated and swells again. I can't breath freely at night, but one side will clear somewhat if I sleep on my side, but then clogs as soon as I get up to go to the bathroom again. I was worried today that these symptoms may be permanent, so it's soooo nice to hear that it will eventually clear completely and go away. I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy...it's MISERABLE! Thanks again...very encouraging ;)

I have just had my first spray-free night in two years and it is a massive relief. I have been tapering off the spray and using oxymetazoline based spray together with Avamys cortico steroid type spray. I have also been doing a nasal wash (neti style) with baking soda and salt in warm water. I have followed this with Nasya oil which is really a godsend. This stuff alone helps open the sinuses and helps eliminate all that stuff that clogs the nose. Now I am breathing freely with no spray of any sort for 24 hours. So pleased!

Blaine Reininger

Athens, Greece

I found the cure!

I want to share this because I had a bad addiction to Otrivin and I found the cure by mistake, I'm a cabin crew and because of the aircraft AC, I used to get my nose blocked cosntantly, I got used to the otrivin and I could not breath without it, specially when going to bed. One night I ran out of otrivin and I was desperated,do I ended up putting some eye drops in my nose to see if it helped... IT DID! and that's not the end of the story, after putting the drops, my nose felt even better than when using the otrivin, and did not get blocked again. now, I don't need the drops to sleep, end very rarely my nose gets blocked, not even when I come from a long flights, basically it cured my addiction and improved my breathing. The drops I used are called Spersallerg, they are inexpensive, and I guess any other brand of eye drops containing Antazoline 0.05% Tetryzoline 0.04% will do the same trick.

I hope this info helps you.

How long did it take? I stopped using it in one nostril over a week ago and am still as blocked as ever that side.