Hi! I heard a lot of different stories about gluten intolerance. I thought that gluten intolerance and gluten allergy are the same things. Now I’m totally confused. Is there a difference between gluten intolerance and gluten allergy? Can somebody explain to me that, please? I have a little child and I’m worried. Thanks!

Gluten allergy is an auto-immune response of the body. Common symptoms are coughing or breathing difficulties. Gluten intolerance is when you have difficulty digesting gluten (a very complex protein) and it normally does not involve an immunological reaction. It can cause discomfort, bloating and stomach pain. Gluten intolerance is more common than having a gluten allergy.

Hello there,

As the poster above me has explained you the difference between these two conditions there is no need to repeat it. I can understand that you are worried because you are a mother of a small child but is there any particular reason why you are worried about gluten allergy and gluten intolerance?

If someone in your family had problems with this that doesn’t mean that your child will have the same problem. My best friend has gluten intolerance and the only thing she has to do is to avoid foods which contain gluten. Basically this is not that dangerous and it can be prevented by avoiding gluten. Gluten allergy is a little bit more complex.