I have recently found out (over the last year) that my grandmother has Celiacs. After I found this out, I cut gluten out if my diet. I am also vegan, so I do not consume animal products of any kind. I have had TMJ since a hospital visit, when I was 17, for an ear infection turned out to be TMJ. It became worse in my thirties when I began to actively try to manage it. Now that I am coming up on 43, my TMJ symptoms are somewhat managed but can be dibilitaing for a few days once or twice a year with dizziness, neck, shoulder, back and arm pain, stiffness and tingling, headaches, earaches, or sharp shooting pain in my ears and muscle stiffness and pain in my jaw and surrounding muscles, nausea and sometimes vomitting. My question is... is it possible that poor nutrition because of years of unchecked gluten sensitivity/celiacs may be a factor in developing TMJ? Since cutting out gluten and animal products and most processed sugars from my diet, I have noticed an over all improvement in my health, but TMJ is an ongoing issue that I am able to manage to a degree on my own. I have heard from several others that chyropractics helps their symptoms quite a lot, and have considered it. I am missing a day or work today because nausea and vomitting brought on by dizziness and feeling overall weak and breathless today made me concerned.. so I am going overboard to manage it today. Thank you!

Hello happypetals,

TMJ can be caused by an impact to your jaw, joint damage and arthritis.  It can also be caused by muscle fatigue and tension if you clench your jaw often or grind your teeth which is the most common cause.  Ultimately this clenching and/or tooth grinding causes your jaw to misalign.   

Having a better diet can improve TMJ problems and since you are gluten free and are eating healthy now you are absorbing more nutrients.  If you want to take it a step further, try taking B-complex vitamins.  B vitamins can help relieve stress because they maintain a healthy nervous system which can decrease any jaw clenching and/or tooth grinding you may be doing. 

B-Vitamins Supplementing with B-complex vitamins can help relieve stress, which can treat the underlying cause of some TMJ disorders. According to the book "What to Eat for What Ails You," B-complex vitamins play a central role in maintaining healthy nerves and reducing stress that may cause teeth grinding and TMJ disorders. Taking 100 mg of each major B-vitamin several times daily can help alleviate stress.  Vitamin C can help repair connective tissue in the joint and it supports healing of damaged muscles.  Oh, and don't forget vitamin E as it can keep your joint moving freely by lubricating it.  Vitamin will also help repair damaged blood vessels in the joint.

Thank you very much! Your reply is very helpful. Since going gluten free all sorts of issues have gone away or have become easier to manage. I do take supplements, but I will look into increasing my B vitamin intake.

TMJ is very frequent in people having some inflammatory bowel syndrom (IBS) like celiac desease (CD). I read a meta-study that stated that 64% of adult IBS patients have TMJ, too. (like me)

I think the true reason is: CD causes vitamin D + calcium deficiency, which largely increases the likelihood to acquire TMJ.

The deficencies caused by CD can have the most severe consequences...

I understand what you mean. I have all the same symptoms as you, including TMJ. Now let me tell you something I recently learned. Most of those gluten free products in the grocery store, are only free of wheat gluten. There are 4 other forms of gluten. They are corn, oats, barley and millet. So many food products contain corn syrup,corn oil or corn starch. Trust me, recently I bought a bunch of vitamins and minerals (listed as gluten free) but were loaded with corn starch. So is Tylenol, Advil, Aleve, and most of the prescriptions that doctors prescribe. Any of these are deadly for me.

Confusion reigns where gluten is concerned.
Please take note: There are different types of gluten.
The gluten in wheat, barley and rye is TOXIC for gluten sensitives.
The gluten in corn, oats and other grains is HARMLESS for gluten sensitives.