Hello! My brother is diagnosed pulmonary fibrosis. I still can’t believe it. He is a young man in his early forties. He doesn’t even smoke and he leads normal, healthy life. I don’t know how this could happen to him. His doctor told us he will consider lung transplantation since my brother is in good condition but donor organs are in short supply. I can’t stop thinking what could cause this disease. Is there a drug that could possibly cause pulmonary fibrosis?

Hello! I understand your condition but you have to think more on possible treatment options. There are hundreds of factors that can cause the lung damage which eventually leads to pulmonary fibrosis. Many drugs can damage the lungs, especially drugs used in chemotherapy, medications used to treat heart arrhythmias and other cardiovascular problems such as amiodarone or propranolol; certain psychiatric medications; and some antibiotics such as nitrofurantoin and sulfasalazine.