I have heard that idiopathic is a medical adjective that indicates that a recognized cause has not yet been established. However, I have heard one case where woman had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Now I do not understand anything and what does it mean in this context. Can anyone tell me an explanation for this disease, because I am interested into pulmonary diseases? I would appreciate any info because I do not know where to ask.

The word idiopathic is the combination of Greek roots means approximately a disease of its own kind. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis involves scarring or thickening of tissues deep in the lung. Off course, as you might guess, it happens without a known cause. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a disease of the lower respiratory tract that damages the air sacs known as alveoli. This disease leads to reduced transfer of oxygen to the blood, which causes widespread scarring of the lung. The condition called idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is believed to result from an inflammatory response to an unknown agent. In this context, as I already explained, idiopathic means that no cause can be found. The disease occurs most commonly in people between 50 and 70 years old. Shortness of breath on exertion that lasts for months or years and eventually is present at rest is one of symptoms for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Some other symptoms of this disease are decreased tolerance for activity, cough that is usually dry, and chest pain.