My husband was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis 9 years ago. The first doctor who looked at his records and told us that my husband has maximum of  three years to live and that his state is ‘moderately severe’ since his current results show disease is in stage 3 or maybe 4. He was immediately put on oxygen and high doses prednisone, but we still have to wait for biopsy results which is very dangerous to be done, in the first place. That’s why I’m wondering is there really need for him to go through with the biopsy, and what difference does it make if he’s stage 3 or stage 4?

Hi Guest,

The biopsy is a standard diagnositc measure.  It not only confirms the diagnosis but can also indicate the cause.

Some type of pulmonary fibrosis respond better to specific medications.  Prednisone, a corticosteroid, may not be the best option under all circumstances.

By itself, Stage 3 or 4, is really just an estimate of his current condition.  The disease will continue to progress.

Good luck to you both.  Hope it helps.