Hello! My grandfather died of pulmonary fibrosis last month. I was especially connected to him and his death was really difficult for me. He was diagnosed pulmonary fibrosis five years ago and his doctor told us that medial survival was three to five years. Since I know that genetics plays an important role in our health I would like to know if there is a way to prevent pulmonary fibrosis.

Hello! In order to know what may prevent pulmonary fibrosis it is important to know the cause. Since pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by many conditions including chronic inflammatory processes, infections, environmental agents, exposure to radiation and certain medications it is not difficult to conclude that prevention is a complicated issue in this case. There is also idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis which is a disease with unknown cause. Then, how to work on its prevention? I think that healthy way of life and positive attitude is the best prevention for any disease. Healthy nutrition with fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of fresh water, vitamins, regular exercises and of course no cigarettes are good way to keep you healthy.