Good evening, folks. I have been working in a mine for more than 20 years. Unfortunately, I have recently been at the doctor’s and he suspects I may have interstitial pulmonary fibrosis. I would like to know if biopsy can confirm whether I really have this disease or not. Thank you in advance.

Hello. Of course that lung biopsy can confirm interstitial pulmonary fibrosis. Nevertheless, some other tests must be done before this. Careful physical examination, history of the patient and a chest X ray are a must! However, the most accurate method is biopsy. A sample of tissue is taken during surgical procedure. This sample is sent to pathology. There, it is viewed under a microscope. After that, a pathologist can say whether one has or hasn’t interstitial pulmonary fibrosis. I hope this helps. Bye!