Hello! I have visited my grandfather today and he has told me he needs to go to the hospital to do some pulmonary function tests and a CT scan since his doctor suspected idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. I have never heard of such disease and I don’t know anything about it. Is it dangerous? What's the treatment for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis?

Hello! Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a chronic progressive lung disease of unknown etiology which is characterized by abnormal and excessive deposition of fibroid tissue in the lungs with minimal associated inflammation. Treatment is a decision that must be made on a case-by-case basis in individual patients. It usually includes corticosteroids and lately interferon gamma-1b and the anti-fibroid agent pirfenidone. The course is variable and unpredictable since some patients show a rapidly progressive fatal course over several months, while others show deterioration of lungs over a longer period. Median survival is three to five years from the onset of symptoms.