Hi, folks. My brother complains he has an irregular heartbeat. He suspects he has arrhythmia. He was at the doctor’s several months ago and he was found nothing. I wonder whether irregular use of some drugs can cause arrhythmia. I would gladly hear out your opinion about this. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Of course that irregular use of many drugs can cause arrhythmias. Metaraminol is alpha adrenergic agonist which stimulates releasing of norepinephrine. It was used as a vasoconstrictor in treating hypotension. Antidepressant, nortriptyline and other tricyclic antidepressants can also cause arrhythmia. Drug overdose is also something that leads to arrhythmia. Bretylium block a release of adrenergic transmitters and it can also cause arrhythmias. And the list goes on. I hope your brother will be all right. Bye!