Hi everyone,

My boyfriend is suffering from bipolar disorder, we started dating not so long ago and I read somewhere that people suffering from this kind of disorder have some weird mood swings which happen really often. I actually noticed this happening a few times when I was with him so I am wondering what could be the most common triggers of bipolar mood swings. I also read that people who are suffering from this disorder also tend to develop bipolar depression which should be also triggered by something, does anyone know as well which things could trigger this bipolar depression?

Mood episodes in bipolar disorder often occur spontaneously, for no particular reasons so I cannot really tell you about its triggers. However, people tend to have a few triggers but different people have different triggers so if you want to know which ones are your boyfriend's, then you should pay attention to when do these mood swings occur. It is not easy dating someone who is suffering from bipolar disorder, since you have started dating not so long ago, I would honestly suggest to you that you put an end to it or this will really hurt you emotionally, it definitely will.

There are some triggers which cannot be anticipated or avoided and not everyone knows their triggers. Some of the triggers that all of the people suffering from bipolar personality disorder have are sleep deprivation, changing seasons, or crossing multiple time zones when traveling. Usually stress always causes these mood swings so it is important for people who are suffering from bipolar personality disorder to do their best to try and stay calm. This is no easy since people suffering from this disorder are actually more prone to being stressed out than anyone else. It is a good thing to keep the journal of mood swings to understand the triggers.

I won't get hurt, people can only hurt you if you let them hurt you. Don't worry about me, I don't get too emotionally attached with anyone and I can always leave the relationship if I feel that it is not good for me, I think that I am emotionally smart and stable person.

I can't make a journal about his mood swings, that is something that he should do and I can't really talk to him about that, I know that he wouldn't like it. I didn't notice any triggers so far, that is the problem, I have no idea what is causing this in his case.

Hi there.

I am afraid that real cause of bipolar depression and bipolar mood swings is not still unknown. There are several factors that can affects this, such as genetic, neurochemical and environmental factors. Those factors are probably interact at many different levels to play a role in the onset and progression of bipolar disorder. It affects one specifically side of your brain. 

Most common bipolar triggers are stressful or very negative things that happened you in your life, you are not able to sleep, you can't do routine things in your life anymore, some illness that you haven't treated, etc. Those all are the possible triggers. 

Hi. I think that a lot of people are not familiar with meaning of triggers. Bipolar triggers are behaviors and outside events that lead to bipolar disorder symptoms. Maybe you didn't know, but those triggers can be positive or negative. You often have control of them, but some are just part of everyday life. Some of those negative triggers are sleep patterns, alcohol and drug use, sex drive, concentration, self - esteem, etc. You have to pay attention constantly on your date because you can't never tell what is the next step that he or she is going to do. It is very hard to date a person who has bipolar disorder. At one moment you are there, and next moment you are not there. Changes in behavior are so huge!

Those triggers are really easy to notice. Maybe you won't believe that those triggers can cause bipolar disorder, but they can. If you notice that you have sleeping problems, that can be it. Sleeping problems are nothing unusual, but you should always observe it. Shift workers, people who work long hours, and students who are short on sleep are all at risk of bipolar mood swings related to a lack of sleep. Also, a lot of broken relationships can be the triggers as well. Maniac episodes in any type of relationship can be signs as well. If you are drinking too much or using any type of drugs, it is also a trigger.