Hi, I saw my GP yesterday because I'm having very bad lower back pain mainly toward the right side and down my right thigh & leg. Its more painful when I want to pass water. My GP tested my urine and  and she said I have protein in it. I am now waiting to hear the result of the test. She thinks it could be a kidney infection, but has not prescribed antibiotics. Or it could be something to do with a Cyst I have in my Left Kidney.

I am so worried about this because of my age (72 in May). I was also diagnosed a year ago with HIATUS HERNIA, GALLSTONES, DUODINITIS & DIVERTICULITIS.

The first kind is swelling kidney caused by renal parenchyma. It is usually caused by acute renal glomerular nephrtis, progressive nephritis, and so on. The swelled kidney stretches renal capsule, which can lead to continuous dull pain or distendingpain. Some of patients can also have gross hematuria, edema, high blood pressure and so on.

The second kind is infectious kidney disease. It is often seen in nephrapostasis, acute pyelonephritis, which is always due to infections of bacteria. Pain usually takes place in one side of the kidney, which will be more serious if pressed. In addition, infectious kidney disease can also be accompanied by fever, chill. It can be diagnosed by test of blood or urine.

The third kind of pain is caused by renal cyst. With the cysts growing in or outside of the kidney, their size will become bigger and bigger, which will press or squeeze the renal tissues or other normal cells which is located around the cyst. What’s more, some cysts inside the kidney can also grow to renal capsule, stretch kidney capsules, which leads to the continuous bursting pain or dull pain. Cysts in the kidney can be diagnosed by B ultrasound or CT.

The fourth kind of pain is caused by kidney stone. It can be intermittent, which spreads to the perineum. It is sometimes together with vomiting, nausea, and even gross hematuria when it is serious.

The last kind of pain is caused by Diabetic Nephropathy. Pain can be caused by nerve invasion. At the end stage of kidney disease, the adjustment function of kidney is damaged. So in clinic, continuous pain in back comes into being.

Back pain is a common symptom in CKD(chronic kidney disease) patients in clinic. If patients still have other symptoms such as hematuria, proteinuria, edema or high blood pressure, they should have an examination on urine or blood test to make a diagnosis whether patients are suffering from CKD(chronic kidney disease). Once diagnosed with CKD(chronic kidney disease), patients should receive treatment as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for this information. My urine test came back normal. However, my appointment for Ultrasound scan came through for tomorrow so I will know more then, hopefully. Many thanks again.

Thank you for your information which is much appreciated. Following ultrasound scan, I have been diagnosed with 2 kidney cysts, several Gallstones & fat in my Liver.
My GP said the Kidney Cysts are not a problem but has advised Gallbladder removal.
However, I am so worried about the fat in my Liver, which my GP said is related to my obesity ( I am about 5 stone overweight).
Has anyone elst on here been diagnosed with Fat in their Liver ??

I had fattyliver and they said at the hospital it was nothing to worry about and i never recieved any medication .hope this helps you.

I had my gallbladder op in August and have been pain free so glad I had it done but I now have a urine infection