I have heard about severe diseases. I was talking to friends and some of them connecting this term with malaria. What severe disease is and does it mean person has malaria? Can you tell me something about this because now we want to know real facts?

Well, severe disease can be malaria that is sure. I don’t know where you and your friends heard for this term but that malaria can be severe that is fact. Infection with malaria parasites may result in a wide variety of symptoms. They range from absent to very mild symptoms to severe disease and even death. As you can see, malaria disease can be categorized as uncomplicated or severe. This term severe means disease gets complicated. About severe malaria, it occurs when P. falciaparum infections are complicated by serious organ failures or abnormalities in the patient’s blood or metabolism. The manifestations of severe disease such as severe malaria is include cerebral malaria. Here occurs abnormal behavior, impairment of consciousness, seizures, coma or other neurological abnormalities. Severe anemia due to hemolysis or destruction of red blood cells is also manifestation of this severe disease.