Hi! My son has Berger's disease. What is cause of this disease? What are the long-term effects of the disease?

Hi! Berger's disease is generally believed to be an autoimmune disorder that results in kidney damage and may lead to kidney failure. An autoimmune disorder is a condition in which the person produces antibodies to his or her own tissues. Some people with Berger's disease, especially children, suffer no long-term effects. In other cases, the disease slowly gets worse over time. A person may develop high blood pressure due to the kidney damage. Treatment of Berger's disease usually focuses on controlling high blood pressure and reducing protein loss in the urine. This is usually done with one of the blood pressure medications called ACE inhibitors.

It's thought to be genetic... I am a 30 y/o female with Berger's disease however there have been no other known cases of Berger's in either side of my family.