I had a fall from my loft and was put in a back brace and sent home afet 4 days in hospital, but during the following wek my leg mainly the leg became numb on top of the thigh, i was sent back to hospital for MRI scan and showed a fragment broken off and pressing on the upper cauda equine nerve root in the latend recess, i was sent home again after speding 4 more days on ward, they want to x ray again in 2 weeks. The pain and weaknes is extremly bad one day and i cant walk and better the next, the pain goes down from my bottom to the back of my leg on right leg and pain in knee alor on my left. will i need to be operated on as they said they will reasess in case the disc needs removed but wont until fractur is healed as it may make it unstable. should i report the extra pain and weakness to my surgeon or dr or wait for next x ray please? thanks claire

This describes me to a T. I fell in January but did not receive proper treatment until an MRI was done and it was discovered I had a wedge compression fracture at L-1. Since I received very little treatment because no one wouldbeleive Iwas injured I can tell you that this pain has been excruciating. I have spasms in my thoracic back and pain in my neck. The pain is like you described. It goes into my buttocks down the leg, causig spasm in the calf. My left foot feels very heavy as if someone is putting a sandbag on top of it. Look at this way. It could be worse, you could have been at work at the time and then you would be waiting for everyone to shop around for the cheapest price. I have never been xrayed except lumbar spine, but I came fown on my tailbone. I was fitted for TLSO today which is supposed to aid in the pain. Let me know how you are doing. I can tell you percoset dulls the pain, but doesn't take it away. I have been in pain 24/7 for 4 weeksnow.

i fell through a hole thought i was going to land ok but one leg hit the ground first and shock crushed l1 so it is now 18mm smaller on one side.since that day i have pain every day 24/7 that was 5 yrs ago i am on diclofenic and zydol with lanzropole every day but they are not dulling the pain as much now and my gp has more or less told me thats all they can do live with it.anyone know better i would love to hear

I fell off a balconey 8 feet and landed on my left heel. Broke the heel, and compressed L1 with a small 2mm fracture on the anterior of the vertebrae. This was August and I was hobbling OK for awhile, now both thighs hurt and are very weak. I can't take Percocet so the orthopod gave me Dilaudid which lets me work (I sit at a desk) and function - my problem is that the Neurosurgeon consult didn't tell me what kind of muscle pain to "look out" for. Since I have old injuries at L4-L5 and L3-L4 - I have learned to live with some pain. What are the main L1 symptoms and what should I do????

Try spinal decompression.