Okay - for anyone who is looking here to find out about Spinal Fusion, I have had great results. On July 6th (5 weeks ago), I had 2 laminectomies, decompression of L4, and fusion of L4 and L5 due to spondylolithesis and spondylolisis. I currently wear a TLSO brace at all times other than when I am in bed.

The reason I am posting today is to let you know how well I am doing. Prior to surgery, I could not stand for long periods of time, and dreaded having to lie down at night to sleep. I currently have ZERO pain. I did have some leg and hip pain for the first 3 weeks. I am now pain free, and stopped taking the pain medication after the 3rd week. I walk free of a cane when in the house, but use the can outside merely for safety purposes.

I know that one of the reasons for my success is not waiting. I had problems with my back for at least the last 10 years. However, in November 2008, is when I first felt the pain radiating down my leg. At that time, I immediately went to the doctor. I waited 8 months to have the surgery due to work circumstances. Because I did not wait years, I truly believe that there was not enough time to have permanent nerve damage in my leg.

I hope for those of you who may need this surgery, that this post is of help. The one thing to remember is to find someone who can help out at home. Cooking is not possible for the first month. I still can't do laundry, clean the house or vacuum because of the lifting and weight limitation.

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. You sounded like a well-informed patient. I am sure many of our members will benefit from this information.

I saw a couple other threads where people have questions about spinal fusion, which is something I really don't know that much about. This info is helpful, but have you been to those threads? I think they have some information that they might wanna know. Thanks again for posting your info though :-)

coming up to 1 year and I am playing softball again for the first time in 3 years... pain free... woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having my surgery (fusion) later this month. Very nervous. Not sure yet how long I will be in OR, Recovery, Hospital, or much of anything. Dr said they will explain it all when they call to set it up. But in mean time I sit here not knowing and kind of afraid. Anyway, thank you so much for your post. So much looking forward to being pain free. Tired of the back, butt and leg pain. I too am not waiting for years.

barneh64 wrote:

jepstein wrote:

I had an L4/L5 spinal fusion over a year ago in May 2011. I have hardware in my back. I feel like I have more pain now than I did before the surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How did u get rid of the Pain My Spial Fusion Is L4 S1 ti S1 and if I run I pay a Painfull Price in Bed?