In November of 2008 I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my left tibia. I am about 20 pounds overweight and jumped into basketball too quickly (that is where the fracture took place). I was went to the Ortho and had an x-ray done, he then did a test by running his finger up and down my bone and explained that I had a stress fracture after I jumped back in pain when he went over a small area of my left shin. I wore a boot for about two months. I went back in for a follow up and I was still in pain. The x-ray did not show the stress fracture anymore, but the pain was coming and going (based on walking and some light activity with the kids), it was concentrated on that one spot the doctor had found and still is to this day. I am 35 years old as of last Sunday, so I was 34 when this took place. I rested and did not play basketball for the entire spring and summer.
I did continue to play golf and ride in a cart once my boot was off. My leg still feels pain when I have any impact on it or I bump it, and I cannot play basketball to this day. It has been almost 12 months and I am so frustrated and do not know where to turn for a recovery plan. My doctor has offered no real solution. He did do a bone scan which did not show up the fracture, only some shin splint. I later came to learn from a friend that is a doctor that it is very hard to find that fracture with a bone scan.
I am at the end of my rope and must start being able to do some sort of exercise. Even riding a stationary bike causes pain to that leg, and it often delayed. Does anyone have any experience with this or has anyone had a long recovery from such an injury?
Thank you so much and if you have any questions please ask. :$ :'( :'(

Hi there, stress fractures usually have a longer recovery time than normal fractures. Have you actually been put in a cast or anything like that or did you just wear the boot?

im 16 and im having the same issue as a result from xcountry, i was in a boot for 2 months, a cast for a month and a half and on crutches and ive been back in my boot but im still on crutches and still having pain even tho i dont use my leg at all except for doing circles for my ankle to recover from the cast. altogether its been about five months total without success. my doctor was going to order me a bone growth stimulator thinking it could help but now my moms insurance wont cover the cost untill i get a ct scan (ive already had an mri) and im not sure what the next step is if i do get the stimulator and it doesnt help.

Hi Leeortz

Yes I have had experience rehabilitating any types of fracture. I myself was one that everyone thought I was loosing my sanity because I had stress fracture that even xrays couldn't show. Then I had a scan which showed a fracture the size of a ten cent coin.

The plastered my leg up the thigh. Eight weeks the plaster was taken off, but my problem never went away. I would always have niggling pains and difficult to walk or even run. Depressing but I tried to live each day best I could. Anyway later I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to learn something new. Now I am absolutely painfree because of applying what I had learnt.

I am now a teacher and practitioner of that theory that works!

If you are interested in knowing more please reply to my email maybe I can help you if you are not healed properly yet!

Elemai

Elemai. I have had my stress fracture for 8 months and it will not heal. Please discuss some solutions with me. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

please tell me what you did as i am having problems healing fro a rh lower tibia stress fracture, very painful

Im having problems as well please tell me what to use.

I would like to now more plz

Elemai, Can you please help me?

I would like to know what you used also. I currently have a tiba fracture (the doctor didn't call it a stress fracture). He said it was a clean break. I go back to see him next Thursday and I am continuing to have mild pain and quite a bit of swelling in my ankle and foot.  I am really surprised to hear how long it takes to heal this type of fracture!  I sure didn't anticipate more than 6 weeks!  I was told that I didn't need surgery or a hard cast only the boot and my wheel chair or crutches and I chose the wheel chair.  My doctor told me that I could put weight on the leg however if I get out for more than an hour at a time then I have pain that night when I am sleeping.  Any help will be appreciated. Shelia