15 yrs ago had a fall and ended up with L3,4,5 in lower back fused together, 7 yrs later had bones in neck fused. Had a total o 3 surgeries on lower back.Docs say its very risky to operate again because Im a smoker. 4 yrs ago i fell off a ladder and broke both bones in left leg between knee and ankle-it has been rodded twice. Now my legs are getting weaker and weaker and painful as well as my back. Doc is suggesting to slowly kill a nerve in back to reduce leg pain. im concerned how this will strengthen my legs and will i lose all fellin in legs

Chances are that you won't actually lose all feeling in your legs. The doctor is suggesting to kill one nerve so that you don't feel as much pain, but this won't cause you to lose it all. Some of the weakness that you are feeling is likely due to the pain, but the other thing is that it might just be muscular. I think it's a good idea (and I know you predicted this was coming) that you consider quitting smoking, if only to help you with your recovery. I know it would be difficult so I hope you realize that this is not meant to be judgmental, just a suggestion. Keep us posted.

I'm so sorry that you have had that many accidents. But I must tell you numbing a nerve isn't going to solve the leg weakness problem. Actually it will make it worse. You'll lose feeling in your leg i.e. pain will not be felt, however it does not mean that the pain is not there.

Nerves supply blood, nutrients, along with nerve impulses to your brain. By cutting it off you are essentially cutting all the flow that the nerve is associated with in your lower half.

I suggest looking at alternative medicine on how to introduce blood circulation back into your system.

One of the things that I have research heavily is magnetic therapy. It could be your best bet as you have already gone through 3 surgeries and still have weak bones and muscles. Cutting a nerve isn't going to solve that problem.

You can go to my website and check out the research and just send me a note with any further questions. I am a trained massage therapist who suffers from a great amount of pain every where. My specialty lies in understanding the cause of pain and how to treat the body well so that pain is no longer present.