I had back surgery about ten days ago. I had L3-L4-L5 worked on. Doc said it was pretty messed up. I had the surgery done because I lost probably 5-% yo 60-% of the strength in my left leg. Doc said go home and rest in bed for two weeks and not sit up much or walk a lot. I can't seen to just lay in bed all day so I sit in my office chair at home which for the most part is pretty comfortable. Buy in the last couple of days my legs are getting really weak again (both and before it was just the left) and my hips hurt some. Just an achy feeling in my legs. I also get wiped out with the smallest bit of doing anything. Just no energy and fell "'blah" all the time. Is this normal after this type of surgery?

Looking forward to your replies.

BTW my doctor told me to start going to a therapist starting in a week.

David in Boquete, Panama Central America

I have just recently also had back surgery could not feel my right leg from the knee down it has benn 6 days since my surgery and i still can feel no difference if anything my leg has worsened.

Had pins and bars put in L4-L5-S1.
First month - isometric exercises
Second month - treadmill, incumbent bicycle, incumbent stepper. Leg exercise...climb up and down one stair, do squats, leg exercises standing up with 2# weight around ankles...1 rep, 15 times left and rightr leg. First left leg to left, then to front, then to back, then lift parallel to floor with knee bent, then lift and bend backwards at knee, and finally, standing with feet flat...up on toes; next up on heels.
Mat exercises-laying down, bring right leg up toward chest while grasping with hands (do left leg too), lift leg straight up without bending knee, sit on chair...then go to standing position without using hands for support (have someone spot you by being ready to catch you if you falter).

I had a 360 fusion spinal surgery on June 17, 2015. After two brief physical sessions; one 10 days after surgery, 10 days at home for about 10 minutes each and the finally 12 days at a rehab center. After the pt at home I got depressed and didn't do anything foe about 9 months until a doctor ref me to pt for 12 days which ended in July 2016. After it was over I continue doing the same exercises at home. I noticed that it had make a difference on my left leg which was extremely weak. My balance is still not there but I'm optimistic that I will get better if I continue. My equipment is simple; rubber ball, pt belt, elastic band, kitchen bar, walker, treadmill, and stepper. I really don't know why my doctor didn't tell me that I would be needing intensive pt right after surgery to avoid atrophy. Thank you for your detailed regiment. I will follow it.

You need intensive physical therapy. START as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to 90 percent normal.

That is not a good doctor at all to tell you to to lay around & not excercise wow

My instructions from surgeon- no bend, twist, stretch (reaching), or arching back for 3 months after fusion.

I’m in the same boat. Very depressing. Can someone help me to know what pt I need to do to get strength in my legs