I was diagnosed with a femoral neck stress fracture on an MRI. It didn't show on x-rays. I was initially diagnosed with bursitis and did PT. Then was referred to chiropractor and finally had an MRI. After 4-6 months of hip, thigh, buttock pain, MRI shows femoral neck stress fracture. There is not a distinct fracture line on the x-ray, but Dr. said it is "very worrisome" as any fall, impact, twist or wrong step could cause it to break. Had Dexascan and hip was -.7 so at the low end of normal range. Have been on crutches with no weight on left hip for four weeks. I still have pain in the bone of the femur if I don't take Tylenol or Advil. How long before pain is expected to go away? What questions should I be asking orthopedic surgeon? I am taking calcuim with vit D 1500 mg daily. I was taking calcium before too, but switched to OsCal at recommendation of ortho surgeon.

I too, have been diagnosd with this exact stress fracture. I was diagnosed at the beginning of January through an MRI, even though I had syptoms for a month before that (limping, impossible to run, pain in groin). I've been on crutches since that time, and although a lot of the pain is gone, I still have pain in the upper hamstring area. This is extremely frustrating because this pain hasn't ever gotten better. WHEN WILL IT??
I try to avoid pain killers because then the pain subsides for a bit, and I get all excited thinking that it's going away, but once the Ibuprofin wears off, the pain comes back. The Dr. says he's not worried about it and that I am healing fine. I'm on crutches most of the time, but he said it's ok to go without them when walking around my apartment. I haven't been able to work since the beginning of January because of this injury. I guess it just takes time for the pain to go away.

My father has undergone hip surgery since he was diagnosed with hip bursitis and his recovery period is very long since he isn't responding to the treatment very well. It's very tough these days for him. I cannot tell when will the pain pass on its own eventually but I would strongly advise you to consult with someone professional, with your surgeon or a doctor about remedies and medicaments because you aren't supposed to take any on your own. The best way is to ask them when the pain will pass and let us know. Keep us posted about this.

I suffered my stress fracture at OCS in the Marine Corp so the disenrolled me and sent me home. I still haven't had an MRI, the approval is taking forever and its annoying. But I just wanted to say I am in the same boat with the pain and everything, but Ibuprofen and other NSAID should not be taken with bone injuries as it can slow or impede the healing process. Just wanted to let you know.

I also have a femoral stress fracture (compression side). I was on two crutches for 6 weeks after HORRIBLE pain throughout my whole leg. I still have some soreness in the groin, which my doctor says is normal. He said to get to one crutch until I have no pain, and then try walking. I'm walking around my apartment without them too-for I think I'm healed enough that it won't break from walking. But it's SO frustrating and I just am sick of limping.
On the bright side, I have free hand now and I know this isn't permanent and I will soon be running in a few months.

I was also sent home from OCS (USMC) about a month ago with a "mysterious" injury where my groin and glutes were in too much pain to bare weight. My hip was also popping in and out with a disturbingly spastic motion. It's apparently a really common injury for female candidates. Although they did an X-ray on base, nothing showed up until I had an MRI done by my own physician, something I was driven to do because the Marine Corps unfortunately denied me LOD (someone from medical lied and said it was a pre-existing injury... so I'm on my own with paying for it).

Anyway...what I've been told by physicians thus far is that you need six solid weeks on crutches putting next to no weight on the foot and leg of the injured hip. Also, vitamin D-3 is essential for regaining bone strength. I've been popping tums and viactive chews every couple of hours.

They said swimming is great therapy but "pushing off" the wall is not allowed on either leg. Also, 15 minutes on the exercise bike can help to strengthen the supporting muscles around the injury without putting strain on the joint.

As hard as it may be, it is important to be patient while healing...don't overdo it on any level (I.E. don't take more vitamins than you need, avoid using pain killers, and keep the PT light). In the meantime, feel better and happy healing!

I have a complete femoral neck stress fracture from all the running and training too. I was walking and swimming x3 months thinking the severe pain would go away. It has subsided to achyness now. It's been 3 additional months, I am on 2 crutches and ache at the groin area. My leg has gotten so weak When I put weight on my leg, the ache increases.
Can you guys please update how your progress was. How long did it take you to go to one crutch? Did you have symptoms with one crutch. Then how long later did you walk without crutch? Did you have symptoms? Did you end up with surgery? If so, what type? Thank you.

I did a Humpty Dumpty and fractured my femoral neck on the right side. I have titainium pins (which match the rod in my spine from an T12 starburst compression fracture 10 years ago.) I am in my late 50's, and feel totally helpless. I have put a tiny bit of weight on my right foot and get paranoid that I am going to cause damage to the injury site. I find it fascinating that the surgeon chose to repair the fracture, rather than replace the head. The recovery time for what I have is three months. People I know who have had hip replacements are up and walking in days. I am not sleeping well since I am normally a stomach sleeper, and that's a no for 3 months. I am also terrified that the blood flow will not recover sufficiently; it takes up to two years to confirm the blood flow that was interrupted by the injury has returned. If not, it's more surgery.

The Good Fairy wrote:

I fell cleaning the garage onto a pice of steel and broke the femoral neck and had to crawl on my back for an hour to get to a cell phone. I am 58, was in great health and had been weight lifting for a solid year prior. I had surgery (no osteoporosis) on November 4th and had two intersecting titanium rods hammered in, one throught the femoral neck and the other down into the femor. It will be eight months on July 4th and I still have pain when walking despite swimming 3 x a week and a shoe lift to even out the now shorter leg. Are you getting any better? Tell me something good, no one I know has gone through this.

Dear Susflores, So sorry to hear of your trauma. You're a year younger than I am, and exactly two months ahead of me in recovery. I'm still hurting quite a bit, which makes me do very little. My house is clean from the ground to about three feet; I tend to do everything I can sitting on the floor. I don't sleep much, since after about an hour I wake up in so much pain. My very able physical therapist is working on loosening my adhesions on the side of my leg, and wants me to get a stationary bicycle to keep me limber. He doesn't want me to use a treadmill, but a four-wheeled walker for support. I lurch a great deal when using a cane, and don't put my injured leg back very far. This seems far harder a recovery than a replacement. I wish you well.

The Good Fairy wrote:

I began with a senior water aerobics class at the YMCA in March and have gone from hobbling to actual walking in the last four months. They usually have people to help get swimmers in the pool and you can exercise without putting weight on your leg. My progression has been slow and naturally I am quite fed up with my progress which I consider minimal. HOWEVER, my swim partners think I have made great strides remembering how I arrived my first day. Why don't you give it a try.

I also drink one weak cup of comfrey tea a night. My researched showed that it was called "bone knit tea" by settlers and was removed from the American market after a woman brewed 16 teabags and drank it concentrated post-surgery. Celestial Seasonings was sued and took it off the market. I buy it from Canada and follow directions.

Last question. Have you had a post surgical CT scan to evaluate your healing? At 5 months mine showed delayed healing so I dropped the ibuprofen, aspertane and started with the tea. Plus, I was given a hand held ultrasound machine to stimulate bone growth, doctor ordered, 20 minutes daily for 5 weeks. Everything in moderation, nothing radiacal or overboard.

Yes, this is definately harder than a hip replacement. I have swim partners that feel no pain after 3 weeks. How is that possible?

Thank you for the encouragement. I'll give swimming a try. I've had quite a few xrays that showed I was healing well. Unfortunately, my doctor "retired" without notice, and my new doctor doesn't have the same investment in my recovery. I'll ask about a ct and the home ultrasound. I don't think I could live with my Motrin - I'm going hard core and getting extra strength. I'm literally unable to sleep much. I'm afraid to take another sleep aid like Ambien, because I'm afraid I'll step down wrong in the middle of the night and it will be all over. Continued healing to you.

The Good Fairy wrote:

Have you asked about your pain medication? My ibuprofen was working against healing, there is quite a bit written about it. I tried Ambien, didn't work ended up taking I allegry medication to get to sleep. Once you start moving around, you'll sleep better, especially if you swim. You'll have to bug your doctor about the ultra sound machine. My husband is an MD (anesthesiologist) and he didn't even know it existed.

Oh, I so don't want to give up my Motrin. Can I pretend I don't know? I went to physical therapy today and mentioned your experience with the ultrasound machine. He said he had thought of it, and so used it. It really did help. He was concerned with it creating hotspots where I have metal, but there was no problem. I came home, lay down, and could lie on my back with no pain. Thank you so much for that. I'm emailing my non-existent doctor to see about more of that. Be well.

I was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago with bilateral femoral neck stress fractures. I am 30 yo female runner. I only have pain in my right hip. Thanks for all the info. I will now stop using ibuprophen entirely. This is so frustrating. I went to see an orthopedic surgeon who wanted to put pins in my hips. I refused, as I want to figure out why I am osteopenic and why I have these fractures. I am now stopping my birth control, the nuva ring, as it looks as if my thyroid is normal. (I am also seeing an endocrinologist)