I am only 53 and I fell off my bicycle and was going very slowly and fell onto a wood planter around a mailbox. I must have hit the edge. It didn't give. But I broke my hip! I had surgery that night. The surgeon inserted 3 pins. I hope I don't have to have a hip replacement someday. It has been over 2 months and I am still going to therapy. I still can't bend over and tie my shoe or put on a sock. Anyone out there experience all this?

Hip fracture can be a debilitating trauma. Patients suffering from osteopenia or osteoporosis are most prone to hip fracture, and the fracture often takes a long time to heal. The one-hour, three times a week physical therapy session can only take you so far. You may consider purchasing a portable TENS unit or an electrical muscle stimulator (EMS) online and continue your therapy at home. The portable TENS unit functions much like the one at the physical therapist's office. You can set it at "continuous" mode and carry the device with you 24/7. I personally prefer the EMS because, in addition to generating an electrical current to inhibit the pain, the current also causes the muscles in contact with the electrodes to contract and relax at intervals. This kind of passive exercise will greatly accelerate your healing, and restore functionality. There are also medications that will help prevent bone loss or even restore bone mineral density. Check with your doctor about this.