My cousin had operation called Third ventriculostomy. They acctualy entered the brain through the bones at the top of the skull. The neurosurgeon passes an endoscope through the lateral ventricle into the third ventricle and uses a laser to make a hole in its floor. I don’t know all the details but I am interested to hear how successful laser ventriculotomy is and what are the risks?

As far as I know success rate of third ventriculostomy is more or less about 65%. It really depends for what is used, tumor, stenosis, infection…There are few risks associated with laser third ventriculostomy. There is no risk of over drainage and the absence of a tube eliminates the risk associated with a shunt. Rarely, the basal artery near the third ventricle is injured during the procedure.

I had one done, back in 2000. It stayed open for roughly 4 years and closed up. The Doctor's at Yale did it again, but this time burned the edges. It's open after 9 years now. BEST LUCK!!