I had green light laser surgery one week ago and had sex with my wife yesterday. I know now that I shouldn't have but no one said not to do it and I was feeling good. Now my prostate is hurting. I'm worried that I have injured myself. I have not contacted my doctor and don't want to bother him needlessly.

What the hell are you talking about - "bother him needlessly?" If you are concerned about it you should talk to your doc. I waited almost a month after I had my procedure because I didn't know what to expect the first time I had an orgasm, so I masterbated just to find out and everything was fine although I still find the retrograde ejaculation a little freaky. Personally I think that a week post-op was a little too soon. You do bring up a good question though - just what does the prostate do when you have an orgasm? I know it provides the seminal fluid but is it a muscle that contracts to squeeze out the fluid when you come? How does that work? Guess I'm gonna have to Google it. It's something I've never really thought about before.

I had the PVP 5 days ago and everything is working fine, good stream, very slight burning, no blood, improving on a daily basis. My big concern now is resuming sexual activity. I was told to wait 2 weeks. It is getting more difficult each day. The little lady is getting turned on, I wake up at night with a boner, even dream about sex . But I will do my best to resist my natural inclination for 9 more days.

I had the procedure done on December 4th. Believe me, don't try to get active early! I'm not used to sitting around, but I should have done just that. It's now 11 days later, I'm still bleeding every time I urinate, and I have the dreaded bladder spasm just after my bladder empties completely, which in turn causes more bleeding. My doctor says it's just part of the recovery/healing process.

One more thing - don't get into a hurry to have sex. You won't do any more damage, but it sure as heck hurts afterward for a couple days at least.

My husband had green light surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and is now having a very difficult time urinating. He had considerable blood in his urine beginning ten days post op but now that has subsided. He is freaked by not being able to pee very much and will call his doctor first thing tomorrow. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen?

Yes, my husband had the GL surgery exactly two weeks ago. He is having a very hard time. Bleeding pretty bad, weak stream and and frequency is worse now than before the surgery. He's also in much pain. He has called the Dr. a couple of times but they say everyone is different and he may take a while to get back to normal. I wonder if anyone else has this type of pain. denib

I had GL 13 days ago with the latest laser machine which is more powerful, and the flow of urine improved substantially after 24 hours. However, I do have pain at the tip of the penis while urinating, mild bleeding and frequency to urinate is about every 2 hours. On the first week I worked a bit on the yard, and bleeding and pain was severe so avoid exercise. I am taking a stool softener to avoid bleeding and pain-it works. Dr. says that I may have bleeding and urge to urinate frequently for 4-6 weeks since I had a "very enlarged prostate". So, the bigger the prostate, the longer the recuperation time.

I had the laser surgery performed 15 days ago, and I'm still having to use a catheter, because I can't go on my own.

My prostate was only slightly enlarged before the surgery, and I wasn't going all the time, but at times my stream was strained and weak. At other times I urinated normally, so I doubt there's a bladder problem involved here. I elected to have the surgery, because laserscope and doctors advertising the procedure on the internet said it was a situation where the surgery could be performed on Thursday and the patient would be back on the golf course by Saturday. The benefits, according to them, were so numerous that having the surgery was a no-brainer. That was absolutely false.

Because of the permanent catheter I picked up a serious infection which made me pretty ill. I went to the emergency room at the hospital. A culture was to be grown from my urinalysis, and I was tentatively put on Levaquin, until it was determined from the culture the type of bacteria involved.

I heard nothing from the urologists office two days later so I called them myself, because I was still ill. I finally got someone to check the results of the culture. They phoned me back a while later and said the anti-biotic I needed was tetracycline, not levaquin, so they called in a script.

After being on the drug for 5 days now, I still can't urinate on my own, and I'm wondering if I now have a prostate infection, because I'm now noticing a strange.

What pisses me greatly is that before the surgery I was in the pink of health, jogging and lifting weights on a daily basis. I can't find anybody who can tell me how long I'm going to have to catherize myself.

One Vancouver Hospital, on their web site, that the green light laser surgery has lost popularity because of the 2 to 4 weeks catheter time involved.

Is this true? Does anybody know? I can't find a damned thing out from the Urologists office. I have an appointment in 5 days.

I have BPH and have been given the choice of TURP or green laser. The dr. said TURP results are good for at least 30 yrs., green light for 10-12. When I asked which he recommended he was non-commital. If anyone has faced this choice I would appreciate their advice.

I had laserscope on my enlarged prostate 12/20/06 and have had problems ever since - bleeding (throwing clots), pain in the penis tip, and now bowel problems. Doc says the pain is "referred pain" from the prostate. I think that, because of my larger than normal prostate for a person my age (63), Doc had to put extra time and heat to my insides, and therefore recovery will be longer. I am now at 8 weeks, urinating hourly, and taking laxatives just to get things going. Does anybody know how long recovery can be on this? My doc is very non-commital.

I had the green light laser treatment 4 weeks ago. I thought just before the surgery that I would be "pissing like a racehorse" and throwing away the pills within 24 hours after the operation. No way. I still am bleeding a lot and have urgency. I get up about 6 times during the night. This site gives me more hope than I get from my urologist who keeps saying, "It will get better" I see that a lot of people have had the same results as I have had which is reassuring as I think the doctors are way to optimistic when they sell you on the procedure.

Had pvp green light late 9/06. all was fine till 2/07. Early in 2.07, Stream reduced almost in a week and is now far worse than before procedure. Split stream most of time (one week, one dribble, and both at same time). Going more now during the day than ever before, with greater urgency and less flow. Nocturia has trippled. Urologist states "probably scar tissue is the cause", and it may have to go back in and cut scar tissue away, which will be determined after cystoscopy. Thought one of the biggest benefits of PVP was no scarring. Not a happy camper. Anyone else out there going through this???

i appreciate all the input you are all leaving... I am very concerned for my father (74) who has been pretty cranky over the past 3-4 years and I am pretty sure it is from his enlarged prostate... he gets up about 6-7 times a night.. is cranky in the mornings and can't help but take naps on and off most of the morning / afternoon because he is still very tired since he NEVER gets a full nights rest.. he is cranky and easily irritated from the lack of a good deep sleep. i heard about the green light.. started looking for more info on it where all i found were rave reviews from doctors... and now i see this thread.... is there no hope? does this green light not work as advertised after all... =( my father was taking flomax and that was helping either.. any suggestions.. i really do hope those of you with problems after green light do get better.. please update your progress with another post if you can.. best wishes..

golo

what happened subsequently?
did this hurting go away?
were you able to resume normal, healthy sexlife?

What happened subsequently?
did the pain persist?
did you do permanent damage?
do you now have a healthy normal sex life?
didyou experience retrograde ejaculation?
i am 56, and there is no helpline. any info would be greatly appreciated.